• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Potential Tropical Cyclone Ten

Pinned the thread and turned live thread on, not sure we will be seeing posts as rapidly as we did in the Harvey thread but there are a lot of posters here from the Carolinas and Ga
... and one curmudgeon from points south ... :rolleyes:

Reactions: SD
Yeah there's a lot of mid level rotation on the CHS radar, the northern semi circle of 92L's circulation is very robust and IMO it looks well defined enough to designate as a tropical depression or at the very least a potential tropical cyclone which we may see at 5pm.

Yeah there's a lot of mid level rotation on the CHS radar, the northern semi circle of 92L's circulation is very robust and IMO it looks well defined enough to designate as a tropical depression or at the very least a potential tropical cyclone which we may see at 5pm.
Considering how close this is to land and the quickly changing potential, I would not be surprised to see a PTC designation today....

jax_radar.gif

Yeah, so the 18z NAM is doing somehting a bit wonky with this system.

It has been quite a windy day here (windiest in a long time outside of thunderstorms) with them, if anything, recently picking up a little. Conditions are similar to a nearby TD or a nor'easter with sustained in the 20s and gusts into the 30s. A lot of this appears due to the solid wedging high producing a pretty strong pressure gradient not far from weak low pressure associated with 92L near N FL. Though here there is still a tropical airmass with dewpoints in the lower 70s, there's drier air not far away in inland GA/SC and even over the coast of SC northeast of CHS as well as over all of NC, where many dewpoints are down into the rather pleasant 55-60 range. As long as that dry air can get involved in this, I'd think that any development would be primarily subtropical rather than tropical. So, if this develops near the coast , I'd favor it being ST. However, if this were to develop far enough offshore in the tropical airmass, it would seemingly have a better shot at tropical as it moves to the NE. I'm not worried about anything all that strong impacting the GA and lower SC coast regardless of what happens though I'll watch to make sure.

Back