• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Oppressive Ornery Obstinate Opposite October

i dont understand the big fuss and excitement about the models going into next week and just beyond... jesus... its october just now be barely going into november.... if we get these looks in late december to february.... game on
Because we haven't seen blocking like this in years, who cares what month it is

Also looks like a good block. Why can't we get this in December and January and February too?
gfs_z500a_namer_26.png
Because that's when we want and need it too. :(

Basically we have Feb 20th sun angle and getting better every day. Take the cold pattern when you can get it and hope it locks in. GEFS is below normal for the run after Tuesday. Ready to be done running AC!!!
yeah but you dont have february 20th type snow cover either.... just waste to me... less a very slim chance this can hold on to winter months

I know some folks don't want to hear this but I do think that global warming is one of the nontrivial factors in addition to the pattern. We may have to get used to this the rest of our lives though I'm still holding out hopes the anticipated grand solar minimum will reverse a decent portion of the warming. We'll see.

I know some folks don't want to hear this but I do think that global warming is one of the nontrivial factors in addition to the pattern. We may have to get used to this the rest of our lives though I'm still holding out hopes the anticipated grand solar minimum will reverse a decent portion of the warming. We'll see.

I'm not at all really a believer in global warming but everytime we have neverending heat or warmest months ever etc. it makes me wonder. I mean at first it was el nino or whatever but the excuses can't go on forever. The last good winter was 3 years ago here(ironically my first winter in Dallas lol). I know some places in AL/GA haven't even had a good winter since before I left, its just amazing.

The cold always shows up in the long range and then never verifies etc. I would love nothing more than to change our fortunes here, but I'm kind of believe it when I see i now.

Lol, everyone is so funny on here. Its the south!! we go by the southern rules when it comes to winter. All, most models have a nice blocking in our future as of now, and has been showing this for a while now. Sure things can change, but im very happy to see this this early. Few years ago we waited for the cold to come around Dec/Jan and that winter sucked as well. So if we start getting cold now than we deserve it. When you live in the south, you get what you get and hope for the best.

I'm not at all really a believer in global warming but everytime we have neverending heat or warmest months ever etc. it makes me wonder. I mean at first it was el nino or whatever but the excuses can't go on forever. The last good winter was 3 years ago here(ironically my first winter in Dallas lol). I know some places in AL/GA haven't even had a good winter since before I left, its just amazing.

The cold always shows up in the long range and then never verifies etc. I would love nothing more than to change our fortunes here, but I'm kind of believe it when I see i now.

I strongly believe that the globe has warmed, but I'm still not comfortable with accepting that it is definitely mostly due to higher CO2. I'm still open minded to the possibility that natural cycles are also a major factor, especially the sun. (See that thread if interested.) That's one reason I'm hopeful that an expected grand solar minimum will lead to global cooling getting going soon. We'll see!

Lol, everyone is so funny on here. Its the south!! we go by the southern rules when it comes to winter. All, most models have a nice blocking in our future as of now, and has been showing this for a while now. Sure things can change, but im very happy to see this this early. Few years ago we waited for the cold to come around Dec/Jan and that winter sucked as well. So if we start getting cold now than we deserve it. When you live in the south, you get what you get and hope for the best.

Actually, I've already stated that I think that a cold SE November would help rather than hurt the chance of a cold SE DJF. I'm all for a cold Nov if we can get it. Bring it on!

Actually, I've already stated that I think that a cold SE November would help rather than hurt the chance of a cold SE DJF. I'm all for a cold Nov if we can get it. Bring it on!
Me too. Thanks as always Larry, keeping us updated on things especially with the ENSO.

I'm just happy to see normal to below temps showing and actual blocking. If it doesn't pan out then so be it but after the last 2 winters at least there's something. I've been on the warm winter train all year but I think it's one of those warm winter's that may be offset by a blocking period or 2 that ctually produce. I think 01-02 was that way here. Got a foot in early January, I had completely forgotten the rest of the winter was garbage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Depends on what you define as "decent" because the median reversal in mean global temperature directly attributable to solar forcing in the literature is on the order of 0.1C from a grand solar minimum (which includes top down impacts from the stratosphere, dealing with variance in UV radiation which exhibits more pronounced changes from cycle-cycle vs solar irradiance), with at most 0.3C cooling when considerations for model physics, resolution, observational biases, etc are taken into account. Global temperatures have increased approximately 0.8-1C since the 1870s and about 0.15-0.2C per decade since the mid 1970s, which means a grand minimum at the very best would halt the long term warming only momentarily unless it manages to couple w/ other forcings (such as volcanoes)... If it were to happen today global temperatures would be set back to what they were during the 1980s... Meh.

Last edited:
I'm just happy to see normal to below temps showing and actual blocking. If it doesn't pan out then so be it but after the last 2 winters at least there's something. I've been on the warm winter train all year but I think it's one of those warm winter's that may be offset by a blocking period or 2 that ctually produce. I think 01-02 was that way here. Got a foot in early January, I had completely forgotten the rest of the winter was garbage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
One things for sure, gfs has been strong with this blocking for a good while now. You could be right, this still could be of "warm" winter with offsets blocking with great potential which im fine with. Or this could very well be a all around "cold"ish winter, which im very fine with that to.

Back