• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Michael

The forward speed of the storm once inland is allowing it to stay strong. Similar thing happened to Hugo which allowed it to stay a hurrricane even up into Charlotte.
Same also with Opal.. NOT saying he will be that strong.. but my concern with him staying "tight" will be the combination of the tight gradient coupled with increased risk of related tornadoes

Water temps are running a bit cooler and their will be some midlevel shear as well and dry air near shore. I don’t see this one getting that strong.

55b1a2b9ceb7f760e298d2fd963de105.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low TCHP is the issue, but with a small, fast TC it doesnt mean as much. As far as shear goes it depends on motion. A TC moving west into 20knts of SW shear and it will get sheared. However a small TC moving NE quickly in 20knts of SW shear will nullify most of that shear.

Secondly, the farther west it goes the higher chance that dry air takes its toll, but the more it aims toward FL, that possibility drops.

As I said days ago, the more eastward it goes, the higher the chance of a stronger storm. IMHO.

Last edited:
This cone is quite worrisome. Note that the TS in VA is a 50 mph one. I've never seen such a thing where it's able to maintain strength through land.
085347_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png
The hurricane shields are working their magic this morning , imby! The SE trend looks to have commenced!:(

9517A178-7088-4285-9D03-2332462CB3BB.png JBs quality map!

Starting to get serious, 6z HWRF has landfall at 933mb and 112knts.

Normally is say it's over done, but with the globals agreeing, it needs a seriously look.
My sister lives in Ft. Walton Beach already telling her be prepared for possible stronger storm then currently forecast. They vividly remember Opal

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Starting to get serious, 6z HWRF has landfall at 933mb and 112knts.

Normally is say it's over done, but with the globals agreeing, it needs a seriously look.
Yup....UKMET and HWRF led the pack yesterday. Looks like the rest are trying to catch up.

My sister lives in Ft. Walton Beach already telling her be prepared for possible stronger storm then currently forecast. They vividly remember Opal

I hope you sister will be safe. My parents live in South GA. I'm having a difficult time getting their attention. They say " the weather man on tv says its not coming here". OMG!!!

Courtesy of Mike's Weather page. Shear is moving a bit north into the gulf. Still a window to intensify.....similar to Opal.

Wind_Shear-640x360.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you sister will be safe. My parents live in South GA. I'm having a difficult time getting their attention. They say " the weather man on tv says its not coming here". OMG!!!
My sister has learned to listen to me over the years as a supplement to locals, we're much older now she wouldn't have done that 20 or 30 yrs ago lol

Haven’t been on the board much this past week. Wow this will definitely have my attention this week. Needs closely monitored.

Basically, the difference in west vs. further east is timing. EURO is slower out off the gate at the Yuc passage, thus slowing down path through the gulf giving the high time to begin an exit. Its following the high further east.
At 00z on Wedneday 10/10, the FV3 is making landfall while the Euro is still in the middle of the gulf. Its amazing the difference of 24 hours.

Screenshot_20181007-103821.jpg
Screenshot_20181007-103911.jpg

Is there really a chance for this to become a major hurricane? I have not really been following it, just thought it was going to be some rain.

Any chance of severe weather around when it comes inland?

Back