• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Michael

Any idea when it should reach the Raleigh area? My office is closing at noon.

Its very gusty here up in Pickens county sc. we are on the back end of the storm as I’m about to take my kids to school. Hard to believe schools didn’t delay or close. As I bet some of these gust are 35-40

Does not look like point and click forecasts from NWS are buying into that backside strong wind threat. I looked at places like Concord NC and Richmond VA and gust to 40? Maybe they know better...and they normally are right:) But there is a lot of different guidance showing much higher gusts than that.

Yeah mine shows a gust to 34 mph..... but as packfan quoted below, the devil's in the details, they actually touch on the potential in the AFD. If those models are correct gonna be significant issues

Any idea when it should reach the Raleigh area? My office is closing at noon.

Probably getting gusty around midday and then that strong wind band, if it verifies, will be late afternoon 3-6ish

From the morning discussion at the NWS Raleigh:

"Its worth noting that the impacts from Michael may be more
significant than those of Florence across the Triad and
Triangle areas."

I think they and local mets are dropping the ball a little by not mentioning this potential to the public. Most people don't read into the AFD details they just glance at the forecast and move on. If the HRRR verifies thousands going to be caught off guard.

I think tornados could be a significant threat especially eastern half of state

And this from Rah..

5b54d0d2ad4597b5d3f488a931b64dcf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I see another death reported overnight, an 11 year old killed when a tree fell on their home in Georgia. Very sad.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

From the morning discussion at the NWS Raleigh:

"Its worth noting that the impacts from Michael may be more
significant than those of Florence across the Triad and
Triangle areas."

Ridiculous how the local mets here were saying yesterday how this won't nearly be as bad as Florence.

Georgia DOT is reporting numerous road incidents all over the state, with fallen trees, downed power lines, and other debris blocking roadways.
Screenshot_2018-10-11_at_8.16.59_AM.png

Paging @deltadog03 how'd you fair last night? Hopefully no major issues....

Man the hi res models are not wavering on that solid band of strong winds on the backside this evening, showing anywhere from 50-70 mph
He could be like my in-laws down in se Alabama. No power, no cell phones. Verizon was down in there area last night. We finally heard from them this morning.

Back