• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Maria

Looked like there was a bit of northerly shear from a small mid level ridge off to it's NNW and also some outflow boundaries evident in the NE bands this morning indicative of some drier air. The outflow is now beginning to expand nicely in those areas so there really is nothing of note to keep it from bombing out other than internal processes. And these small storms don't always behave internally as larger ones.

Ukie ensembles mostly east also although there are a few that threaten the eastern seaboard most do not
Capture.png

Ukie ensembles mostly east also although there are a few that threaten the eastern seaboard most do not
Capture.png
I know it's a long way to go but the Euro and the Ukmet along with Jose holding it's own has me feeling a little better about this missing the US...

Dreaded pinhole eye mentioned in discussion plus a 155 mph peak and mentioning a cat 5 possible

I know it's a long way to go but the Euro and the Ukmet along with Jose holding it's own has me feeling a little better about this missing the US...
Jose looks pretty horrible and he's degraded a lot faster than forecast. We should find out soon enough precisely how strong he is but I don't think he's either fully tropical at the moment nor still a hurricane. While there's still a strong diabatic PV tower in the low-mid troposphere with Jose, stratospheric extrusions of PV are becoming evident over the circulation and have effectively linked up with the lower level PV tower... Definitely at least subtropical

So...I figure until the models figure out that Jose is not nearly as strong as they think they are they're going to struggle. :\

Keep in mind with Irma, satellite intensity estimates severely underestimated its intensity... When recon found her to be a 145 kt category 5, satellite intensity estimates only supported a 120 kt cat 4. While Maria is a totally different storm, the underestimation bias from satellites is consistent with small TCs undergoing RI like Maria, and even these notoriously conservative estimates support a 125 kt category 4 hurricane with Maria rn, & for the NHC to go considerably lower than the satellites it's head scratching...

Keep in mind with Irma, satellite intensity estimates severely underestimated its intensity... When recon found her to be a 145 kt category 5, satellite intensity estimates only supported a 120 kt cat 4. While Maria is a totally different storm, the underestimation bias from satellites is consistent with small TCs undergoing RI like Maria, and even these notoriously conservative estimates support a 125 kt category 4 hurricane with Maria rn, & for the NHC to go considerably lower than the satellites it's head scratching...
It's quite confusing indeed. Looking at the current estimates, she is strengthening fast still, and I bet that recon will find cat 5 in this flight. If they do find and issue the 8 pm advisory saying a mid cat 4, they likely have their head in a bucket.
15LP.GIF

Jose looks pretty horrible and he's degraded a lot faster than forecast. We should find out soon enough precisely how strong he is but I don't think he's either fully tropical at the moment nor still a hurricane. While there's still a strong diabatic PV tower in the low-mid troposphere with Jose, stratospheric extrusions of PV are becoming evident over the circulation and have effectively linked up with the lower level PV tower... Definitely at least subtropical
I'm certainly not one to argue with you Webb lol.... I agree completely it's not looking that great but does Jose need to remain a tropical system in order for it to affect the steering currents? In other words if it's there post-tropical won't it still have effects on breaking that ridge down

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back