• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Magnificent March

I'm almost 50.. I've seen one utterly incredible March, the rest, meh. But damn, that one time... so amazing. Yeah, you know which March I'm talkin' 'bout.

I'm almost 50.. I've seen one utterly incredible March, the rest, meh. But damn, that one time... so amazing. Yeah, you know which March I'm talkin' 'bout.
Well I ve got you + 10, and I ve seen 5 crazy ones
Winter 1983, and 1993
Severe 1975, 1998,and 2008

Well I ve got you + 10, and I ve seen 5 crazy ones
Winter 1983, and 1993
Severe 1975, 1998,and 2008
yeah, for some reason GA seems to fair better in nutty Marches... Knoxville northeast into the mountains is another story... I gauge my March love on snow/cold not severe. I hate tornadoes personally. Just my little quirk. I grew up in central Texas and spent an entire childhood in fear/awe of massive tornadic thunderstorms. And April 2011 cured me of my last vestige of interest in that weather phenomenon.

yeah, for some reason GA seems to fair better in nutty Marches... Knoxville northeast into the mountains is another story... I gauge my March love on snow/cold not severe. I hate tornadoes personally. Just my little quirk. I grew up in central Texas and spent an entire childhood in fear/awe of massive tornadic thunderstorms. And April 2011 cured me of my last vestige of interest in that weather phenomenon.
March is a vilotale month. But I gauge it on severe weather it’s spring met. Month.

Give me a -EPO and a -NAO in winter and I will take my chances.

A +PNA has a significantly stronger correlation
to SE cold, especially in FL and GA, than the less reliable -EPO, which has a correlation to cold that is stronger in the Midwest than in the SE. Keep this in mind: the EPO has been negative all month and is projected to remain that way through 2/23. Yet, we're having the first or second warmest Feb since 1879 in much of the SE! That wouldn't be the case with a +PNA, which we don't have this month. It will end up a pretty solid -PNA.

Give me a +PNA with anything and I will take my chances.

A +PNA has a significantly stronger correlation
to SE cold, especially in FL and GA, than the less reliable -EPO, which has a correlation to cold that is stronger in the Midwest than in the SE. Keep this in mind: the EPO has been negative all month and is projected to remain that way through 2/23. Yet, we're having the first or second warmest Feb since 1879 in much of the SE! That wouldn't be the case with a +PNA, which we don't have this month. It will end up a pretty solid -PNA.

Give me a +PNA with anything and I will take my chances.
1000+ "Likes" ... :cool:

2012, 2016, 2017 were all positive +PNA winters and were blowtorches. +PNA by itself doesn't always equal cold for the southeast, far from it.

cd173.38.117.73.48.9.46.52.prcp.png

2012, 2016, 2017 were all positive +PNA winters and were blowtorches. +PNA by itself doesn't always equal cold for the southeast, far from it.

View attachment 4072

No single index is anywhere near always correlated to SE cold. I'm talking overall correlation based on data going back to 1950 as opposed to it always meaning a cold SE. This isn't just me saying this. This is what the data says. On average, a +PNA has been more correlated to SE cold than a -EPO. A west coast ridge is much more often than not a good thing if you want cold. Some -EPOs don't also have a +PNA ridge. A -EPO
is more highly correlated to a cold Midwest than it is to a cold SE. OTOH, a +PNA is more highly correlated to a cold SE than it is to a cold Midwest.
Keep in mind that I'm talking averages of all of the winters since 1950-1.

Off the charts.
2b41ef972f4184faca143de0bfa347c6.jpg

8fa50cfd098c363e1634945b2d0c73d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off the charts.

Jon,

What's the AO doing in that same time period based on your sources?
What I'm seeing is also deep diving.
That could be a good tandem.
Thanks!
Phil

Looks like we torch until early March for now, and there is indeed a trend colder. 6Z GEFS looked like a good cooldown. Question is, when will it actually happen and will it lock in? I'm just going to wait until early March.

Jon,

What's the AO doing in that same time period based on your sources?
What I'm seeing is also deep diving.
That could be a good tandem.
Thanks!
Phil

Yep. Based on the evolution of this strong west based -NAO it would have no choice but to tank beforehand
0c35466e2b9f4b46f483ead81f268f3d.jpg

f52092df4743e3acd8c03367f416f5aa.jpg

Off the charts.

Does anyone know or does it bother anyone why these WxBell charts show the op GFS and Euro models day 10 forecasts with a -4 to -5 NAO and yet the GEFS forecast mean is down to only -0.70? Furthermore, the most negative member of said ensemble is down only to about -1.7. Something is way off.

No single index is anywhere near always correlated to SE cold. I'm talking overall correlation based on data going back to 1950 as opposed to it always meaning a cold SE. This isn't just me saying this. This is what the data says. On average, a +PNA has been more correlated to SE cold than a -EPO. A west coast ridge is much more often than not a good thing if you want cold. Some -EPOs don't also have a +PNA ridge. A -EPO
is more highly correlated to a cold Midwest than it is to a cold SE. OTOH, a +PNA is more highly correlated to a cold SE than it is to a cold Midwest.
Keep in mind that I'm talking averages of all of the winters since 1950-1.

Agreed, no single index. There are multiple combinations that drive cold into the SE, a +PNA doesn’t always equal cold nor does a -NAO. But a -PNA doesn’t always mean warm and snowless. We all remember Feb 2014, great event with a -PNA.

Does anyone know or does it bother anyone why these WxBell charts show the op GFS and Euro models day 10 forecasts with a -4 to -5 NAO and yet the GEFS forecast mean is down to only -0.70? Furthermore, the most negative member of said ensemble is down only to about -1.7. Something is way off.

Did you clear your cache Larry? Ens mean is almost -5 here...
044bb67a018bae9d9eccc6c7d70ecd46.jpg

Here’s 00z GEFS from NOAA, -4
6532dbbdb38c6d048ad85b5a7eebe2e6.jpg

And weatherbell 00z GEFS....
32049a3420063c09b4b54e3e7e297688.jpg

Last edited:
Back