• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Magnificent March

Anyone got the euro for Sunday

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It's for Monday but it's the best it gets.
ecmwf_ptype_se_168.png

Not trying to be difficult or combative, but I am afraid I don't understand what you are talking about. Upper level lows can do strange things due to the cold core nature of these systems. It is common to have accumulating snows underneath them when areas farther north are too warm to support frozen precip. It is all about the strength of the low, the track of the low, and the speed of the system.
Yes, I can remember times when it didn't work out due to one of these being less than favorable. However, that Nov,1st snowstorm in the mid-lands of SC, still serves as a reminder that strange things do happen. Don't discount this set-up just because it's in March.

And its not like there isn't any cold air around. Lots of bad things to overcome this time of year but there is potential in my opinion:weenie:

12z EPS for RDU. Decent agreement on timing...backside fun on exit seems like a possibility.
b3c9f16b530e6ed2982d6aa97d6b395c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't tell James Spann but the tornado sirens went off in my neck of the woods (central Mississippi) a few minutes ago. Nothing much though.

Be interesting to see if tonight's Euro, Gfs and CMC runs support this track... Wonder what are the chances this sets up a little further west... and gives the Southern Apps a blizzard...

I'll be the first to admit, I certainly have underestimated the intensity and longevity of this ongoing -NAO/E Canada blocking regime. While wave activity accumulation from a weaker than normal Aleutian low, unfavorable tropical forcing, and a less than stellar interannual background state have favored a rapid breakdown of this blocking high, high frequency eddy fluxes generated from successive non-linear cyclonic wave breaking of synoptic-scale Rossby Waves over eastern North America have continuously amplified the block and the lower total column ozone (TCO) in the mid-latitudes induced by acceleration of the poleward branch of the BDC in the recent sudden stratospheric warming event/polar vortex split has likely slowed down the mixing process that hastens their eventual decay. Once these cyclonic wave breaking events near the eastern seaboard from come to a halt, aforementioned mixing and ekman pumping will restore the Icelandic Vortex. (ekman pumping is essentially a process by which anticyclonic wind stress leads to net convergence into a high pressure center that allows it to accrue mass with time and vis versa w/ cyclonic gyres (this works in both the ocean and atmosphere))
354b4f40-4083-41b3-84c8-1bf885d4c906.gif

I'll be the first to admit, I certainly have underestimated the intensity and longevity of this ongoing -NAO/E Canada blocking regime. While wave activity accumulation from a weaker than normal Aleutian low, unfavorable tropical forcing, and a less than stellar interannual background state have favored a rapid breakdown of this blocking high, high frequency eddy fluxes generated from successive non-linear cyclonic wave breaking of synoptic-scale Rossby Waves over eastern North America have continuously amplified the block and the lower total column ozone (TCO) in the mid-latitudes induced by acceleration of the poleward branch of the BDC in the recent sudden stratospheric warming event/polar vortex split has likely slowed down the mixing process that hastens their eventual decay. Once these cyclonic wave breaking events near the eastern seaboard from come to a halt, aforementioned mixing and ekman pumping will restore the Icelandic Vortex. (ekman pumping is essentially a process by which anticyclonic wind stress leads to net convergence into a high pressure center that allows it to accrue mass with time and vis versa w/ cyclonic gyres (this works in both the ocean and atmosphere))
354b4f40-4083-41b3-84c8-1bf885d4c906.gif
What a great explanation, Webb!
Thanks ... ;)
Best!
Phil

Lol and just like that it appears all hope for VA is gone overnight. 12 inches to 1. I bet the MA boards are melting down this morning.

Lol gone ?? I guess you missed the GEFS and the GEPS . The eps was a step back for them as it’s much slower ejecting energy and it gets suppressed . I’m all in on this one since I’m gonna be up that way . But like I said , Im sure I’ll bring rain and upper 30s so they should lower their expectations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be great to get an inch or two of snow this time of year, but it is still so far away in terms of the models.

Back