Pattern Jarring January

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
I'm laying this here saying here comes our first real severe threat. 10 days away, I'm calling it. Start the thread :p. It has a good setup unfortunately with mid to upper 60s and dewpoints up there as well.
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_38.png

This is when the pattern changes back to Winter... Very legitiment threat

Reactions: MBell and BPATL
I quickly learned that in the time I lived over there. The only cold wind direction is NE, any southerly wind obviously doesn't bring in cold air, and N & NW is downsloping air that has been severely modified because of the smokies.

One interesting observation from last week though was the front and disturbance that brought ice to Memphis and points north, that front was oriented almost 90 degrees because of the waves along it, hence ice on the backside vs snow. When the front passed by our winds shifted WSW and actually brought the cold air in from that direction. It was a rare occurrence that doesn't happen very often bringing the cold air south of the apps, then east.

JC, are you still in Marietta or did you move? The Smoky Mountains are to your NE. To your NW is the remaining Appalachian Mtns. that run through NE Alabama and you have a lot of valleys and a few mountains to your North. You are not downsloping in Marietta with a N/NW flow but it is, in general, a dry flow.

Overrunning still works for everyone here in my opinion (well, almost everyone), it's just the catch is you could start as something other than snow if you are in the SC midlands (or here, for that matter).

Folks, Gainesville, FL, has plunged to 28 at 10 PM!

Edit: Dewpoint holding at 23. I earlier predicted a low of 19-20. Let's see if the dewpoint later falls with the temp. I've seen that happen there on several occasions when radiation is strong and am obviously expecting that.
It's getting a bit chilly ... was this AM as as well ... :D

Reactions: GaWx and accu35
One thing i look for to in spring time is my Lemon tree buisness. Things are set to go, my first few hundred will hopefully be ready by late spring early summer. Im in Zone 8 so that makes a whole new differents in growing my trees in the south.

Reactions: TheBatman
Gainesville has fallen a typically impressive 13 degrees in just the last 2 hours to 37. It I were there, I undoubtedly would have been walking Veterans' Memorial Park during the rapid drop.

The dewpoint, as is typical during evening radiation, has risen. It rose from 14 to 22 the last 2 hours. I don't expect it to rise much more. As a matter of fact, it will often fall back a few degrees with the temperature late at night. So, I'm sticking with my 19-20 forecast.

Edit: now down to 34 at 8PM.
Larry,
Since 5:30 - been at a CLE on jury selection and just got in and am catching up; good Gainesville posts. Veteran's Park misses your footsteps on an evening like this, I'm sure ... :cool:
Thanks for keeping me in mind! ;)
Best!
Phil

Last edited:
Reactions: GaWx
Folks, Gainesville, FL, has plunged to 28 at 10 PM!

Edit: Dewpoint holding at 23. I earlier predicted a low of 19-20. Let's see if the dewpoint later falls with the temp. I've seen that happen there on several occasions when radiation is strong and am obviously expecting that.
I'm just at 28 at near 1am, and just up the road it's still 31.... and with the high further down, and closer to Phil, I bet he drops lower than I do.

We probably gonna have to wait to reload end of month into February to see at least 1 more winterstorm

Been a cold few days. My lows were 8, 13 and 14 degrees over the last three days.

Still watching next week. All models except for the Euro have the s/w. The Euro wants to bury it in the SW, while the GFS/CMC are still too flat. The ICON is by still by far the most robust with the trough and isn't far from being something pretty good.

Radar out west in Texas is on the move. Be very interesting if some of that precip could make it the over night hrs with my temps in the upper 20s. Very light precip and no short range or global has this frozen. Just something to watch on radar.

Reactions: WEATHERBOYROY