• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 14-16th storm potential.

Still snowing pretty good in Boone. Heading up there early tomorrow.

Still snowing pretty good in Boone. Heading up there early tomorrow.

They will top 20 up top beech if it continues through the night. This cold squeezes moisture out your nose up there and turns it into dendrytes. They truly are maxing out the backside upslope. Sure wva doing the same

They will top 20 up top beech if it continues through the night. This cold squeezes moisture out your nose up there and turns it into dendrytes. They truly are maxing out the backside upslope. Sure wva doing the same
Yeah I believe the top of Beach was pushing 15” this time yesterday. Big storm MLK weekend last year as well. We got 13” up there that day. They just know how to win up there.

Yes… all the ski resorts should be in great shape to handle the 7-10 day mild spell. Should be some good spring skiing conditions on days it’s not raining

One thing I thought was very interesting. At least in the Birmingham area yesterday, was the power of radiational heating. We were well below freezing all day but a full day of sunshine coupled with some wind worked wonders on the road. Just goes to show that whatever falls won't necessarily always "stay frozen on the roads for days"

One thing I thought was very interesting. At least in the Birmingham area yesterday, was the power of radiational heating. We were well below freezing all day but a full day of sunshine coupled with some wind worked wonders on the road. Just goes to show that whatever falls won't necessarily always "stay frozen on the roads for days"
Yeah I noticed the same thing. Was very surprised being as the temperature was in the mid-20s max all day.

Yeah I noticed the same thing. Was very surprised being as the temperature was in the mid-20s max all day.
I noticed when I was growing up the same thing. I also noticed that the snow and ice melted faster when it was 25 degrees and sunny , than when it was 35 degrees and overcast. Not wanting to start any trouble, but that's why I believe much of the polar ice cap melt is because of less pollutants (volcanic ash etc) to block out the sun's rays rather than temperature increase.

Last edited:
My birdbaths were frozen solid in my front yard. I put a pan of warm water on my back deck and one in the front next to the birdbath. Both were frozen an hour later. The sun hit the front and 2 hours later the ice was all gone in 21 degrees and in the back still frozen. I had steam coming out from under my deck this morning . All I could figure out was that it was from the sun hitting that spot as there were no pipes or anything but dirt where it was coming from . The sun is powerful !

The sun is powerful, but sleet has staying power. The roads are mostly total sheets of ice here. What was very grippy ice is getting increasingly slick as the sun melts the top layer and it refreezes.

Back