• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 14-16th storm potential.

Pretty crazy stuff with this system. Last night Mt. Mitchell had a low if -4 which means that many places in TN, N Mississippi and maybe even N AL were colder than Mt Mitchell and Beech Mtn. Pensacola FL has now had as much wintry precipitation this winter as Asheville.

Pretty crazy stuff with this system. Last night Mt. Mitchell had a low if -4 which means that many places in TN, N Mississippi and maybe even N AL were colder than Mt Mitchell and Beech Mtn. Pensacola FL has now had as much wintry precipitation this winter as Asheville.
That’s the thing about these Arctic airmasses that’s so interesting… how shallow they can be. One time I was on a business trip in late January to Denver… the temperature in town was around 0 while the ski resorts west of town and higher elevation were in the 20s

One thing I thought was very interesting. At least in the Birmingham area yesterday, was the power of radiational heating. We were well below freezing all day but a full day of sunshine coupled with some wind worked wonders on the road. Just goes to show that whatever falls won't necessarily always "stay frozen on the roads for days"
I’ve seen snow melt when it was 15 degrees with sunny skies.

I’m in Boone and it’s currently 22. Snow is melting in the sun.

Until this afternoon we had been sunny and below 20 degrees since it snowed an inch on Sunday and it was melting some everyday. I will say though even now after hitting 42 degrees today there's still some icy spots in the shade

School is finally open tomorrow though

I’ve seen snow melt when it was 15 degrees with sunny skies.
I remember as a kid this broke my heart. We had a couple inches of snow one night and the next day it was a high in the teens with sunny skies. I thought there would be no melting. Little did I know in sunny spots that dry snow got scorched so quickly and the roads were clear by noon... ?

I remember as a kid this broke my heart. We had a couple inches of snow one night and the next day it was a high in the teens with sunny skies. I thought there would be no melting. Little did I know in sunny spots that dry snow got scorched so quickly and the roads were clear by noon... ?
This is why I’ve never understood why people always want higher ratios. It always seems to me that dryer snow melts and evaporates more quickly. That paste bomb we had in March 2009 hung around several days despite that high sun angle

This is why I’ve never understood why people always want higher ratios. It always seems to me that dryer snow melts and evaporates more quickly. That paste bomb we had in March 2009 hung around several days despite that high sun angle
January 11’ was 7-8” of fine powder here then on the back edge we topped it off with ZR. That stuff was unmeltable. I can still feel that crunch under my feet. Prob never see one like that again.

January 11’ was 7-8” of fine powder here then on the back edge we topped it off with ZR. That stuff was unmeltable. I can still feel that crunch under my feet. Prob never see one like that again.
Yeah I’m meaning more of a deal where you don’t get any mixing like that on top. I’ve seen a number of times over the years where there is a 16-17:1 ratio snow that just disappears as soon as the sun hits it

Staying power is great and I want it, but it's a distant second in importance to total max accumulation.

Give me 8 inches that all melts within a day or two over 4 inches that hangs around for a week.

Staying power is great and I want it, but it's a distant second in importance to total max accumulation.

Give me 8 inches that all melts within a day or two over 4 inches that hangs around for a week.
I guess it’s just a personal preference… I’ve always rather keep the snow on the ground for a bit. That’s why I didn’t go into a meltdown in February 2014 when things switched over to sleet… kept the covered here for days despite warming up fairly quickly after the storm

Part of it is just the rarity of high-ratio pixie dust snow here. I've had plenty of cement paste and raging multi-inch sleet storms the last 20 years, very few powder snows though.

Part of it is just the rarity of high-ratio pixie dust snow here. I've had plenty of cement paste and raging multi-inch sleet storms the last 20 years, very few powder snows though.
Yeah… seeing that 40:1 ratio in January 2003 was something to remember. The snow was even really fluffy it was so dry

Back