• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

I'm still trying to figure out how we're not gonna be cold when everything seems to be going our way besides the models. Positive PNA, Negative AO before a slight positive then right back to negative, MJO looks to be going into phase 8. So why don't the models have cold over here?

I'm still trying to figure out how we're not gonna be cold when everything seems to be going our way besides the models. Positive PNA, Negative AO before a slight positive then right back to negative, MJO looks to be going into phase 8. So why don't the models have cold over here?
Not sure if it's a reaction to the mjo or what but they models over the last 36 hours are trending towards a cold pattern with longer lasting cold shots . Will be interesting to see if that continues

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

Well , Greg Forbes said winters over for the south too! The list is growing, JB has been awful quiet about weather the last few days, once he saw the sonofarcticgeddon collapsing before his eyes! :(
Lol Greg Forbes did he give a torcon value for winter being over ???

Not sure if it's a reaction to the mjo or what but they models over the last 36 hours are trending towards a cold pattern with longer lasting cold shots . Will be interesting to see if that continues

It is, and it will be ...

Lol Greg Forbes did he give a torcon value for winter being over ???

Lol! Yeah, TORCON 9 out of 10 that winters over! Add WxSouth to the list that have basically punted winter too. End of Feb, if at all for him.

Do you think the that with all the players on the field the models will continue to correct?

I didn't know Robert punted Winter also. That is interesting because just last week he had a post about Feb being awesome for Wintry weather. Maybe that was just an advertisement, after all.

The models are struggling because of the MJO and in some form, it's a kink in the forecast for now.

The thing that concerns me for my area, is the Gulf being tapped, but the majority of the storm tracks showing up are coming inland in some form. I am kind of ignoring the temperatures, because for here, that kind of storm track argues for ice or rain regardless.

I didn't know Robert punted Winter also. That is interesting because just last week he had a post about Feb being awesome for Wintry weather. Maybe that was just an advertisement, after all.

The models are struggling because of the MJO and in some form, it's a kink in the forecast for now.

The thing that concerns me for my area, is the Gulf being tapped, but the majority of the storm tracks showing up are coming inland in some form. I am kind of ignoring the temperatures, because for here, that kind of storm track argues for ice or rain regardless.
His post also kind of backtracks. Almost like he denies previously forecasting the remarkable February. Just last week WxSouth talked like it was going to be a Fab Feb, now he denies saying that? Either he's backtracking or I'm on drugs and didn't know it one or the other.

Given that the models are seeing phase 8 now we should be seeing adjustments to it but I just don't know, I don't think it'll be enough to tell what's going to happen outside of the guessing game land. Seems like the storm track just favors the upper south if even that even through the land in which me and one other member were trying to get for a while (2/11-2/14).

Well that period that I was interested in starting in January (even before we got close) is there but it's eh, just an inland runner...I just don't think the way the trough is patterned is good enough and while the wave may need some working out, it may be too little, too late on fixing what the storm path is until later on.

Well that period that I was interested in starting in January (even before we got close) is there but it's eh, just an inland runner...I just don't think the way the trough is patterned is good enough and while the wave may need some working out, it may be too little, too late on fixing what the storm path is until later on.

Augusta through here are screwed with the storm tracks, even the 00z GFS coming out now is a disaster. Add to that, warmer temperatures, and I think outside late Feb-Mid March, our window is just about closed.

Augusta through here are screwed with the storm tracks, even the 00z GFS coming out now is a disaster. Add to that, warmer temperatures, and I think outside late Feb-Mid March, our window is just about closed.
I think it's closed till next winter.

I think it's closed till next winter.

We can't be sure, because if we can get into later Feb-Early March, we can still get an enough cold air of sorts that can work in our favor. While historically Mid Feb is best, we have had many events in early March also.

Things are wonky with modeling, and lets be honest here. CAE usually gets nailed with temperatures in the 60's and 70's leading up to and after the event. Rarely, do we get nailed in a true arctic outbreak. MJO is throwing a big wrench into the forecasts, but I do think we are not going to see some crazy Arctic outbreak before late Feb, it at all in our neck of the woods, which is not exactly a bad thing.

I would like to note that it looks like the PV is going to split. What it means down stream, might not be of much use (as it could be too late), but at some point, parts of the SE are going to get another shot. I just favor the upper South as of now.

Yeah it's the GFS but it doesn't look like it responded to phase 8 at all or the idea that after the MJO passes through 4-5-6 there's a trough two weeks later in the east. I'll give it some more time though.

The way I see it is, the MJO needs to get into the better phases or we are gonna struggle. Calling winter off now is to me, stupid. But again, that’s just me. I know I have been quiet lately, but just been sitting back and seeing how the models are going to respond. I will say, the models are awful at predicting the mjo movement. And wait for it..... euro seems to be the worst at it lately

The way I see it is, the MJO needs to get into the better phases or we are gonna struggle. Calling winter off now is to me, stupid. But again, that’s just me. I know I have been quiet lately, but just been sitting back and seeing how the models are going to respond. I will say, the models are awful at predicting the mjo movement. And wait for it..... euro seems to be the worst at it lately

I mean, what can go wrong? If someone calls it off (like many have done outside this forum with more viewership on Twitter etc), the only thing that can happen is it works out better for cold or snow fans.

I think there may be a disconnection between no more snow and a torch/heat. We can all certainly score with the right storm in a overall warmer scenario. Historically, I am sure Macon has done well when it was just 74F two days before and I bet 74F or warmer after it was over. I wish I could pull data like Larry can for areas like Macon, Augusta, Orangeburg to see just how many snow events have happened in March, even, with upper 70's around before and after.

I still do not like the storm tracks for our back yards though. I have just been using the GFS based on that, and not paying much attention to the Euro in this situation. I would assume the GFS still handles the Northern Stream better. I am not sure which model is best with the Southern stream when all is said and done, though.

Back