• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

As long as we're doing a history lesson today, here's some February/March info about FL since 1900:

February 7, 1907: During the afternoon, a light snow flurry occurred "in the immediate vicinity" of the city of Jacksonville

February 8/9, 1947: A cold wave entering from Canada, accompanied by winds of up to 80 miles per hour (130 km/h; 36 m/s), causes snow as far south as Clearwater

February 2/3, 1951: Snowfall accumulates to 2.0 inches (51 mm) at Saint Augustine and Crescent City

March 6, 1954: 4 in (100 mm) of snow accumulates at Milton Experimental Station, Santa Rosa County, within a 24-hour period, the highest such total for Florida according to official modern records

March 28, 1955: Snowfall accumulates to 1 inch (25 mm) in Marianna along the Florida Panhandle.

February 13, 1958: An overnight rainfall changes to snowfall in Jacksonville and accumulates to 1.5 inches (38 mm).[2] Additionally, Tallahassee reports a record 2.8 inches (71 mm).

February 9, 1973: Snow falls over the northern portion of the state, including a total of 2.0 inches (51 mm) in Pensacola, with unofficial reports of up to 8 inches (200 mm)

March 2, 1980: About 0.25 inches (6.4 mm) of snow covers car tops and patio furniture in Jacksonville

March 1, 1986: 0.5 inches (13 mm) of snow accumulates overnight in Jacksonville

March 12, 1993: The 1993 Storm of the Century produces up to 4 inches (100 mm) of snow along the Florida Panhandle

February 3, 2007: Very light snow flurries are reported in the northeastern panhandle, lasting less than an hour

February 12, 2010: Portions of northwestern Florida experience snowfall totals of around 1 in (25 mm)

February 14, 2010: 0.5 inches (13 mm) of snow fell across the northern halves of Escambia, Santa Rosa, Walton and Okaloosa Counties

March 3, 2013: Snow flurries were reported in the Panhandle, specifically around Panama City Beach

You just never know ...

Now back to regularly scheduled programming ... :cool:

Oh good nice job derailing what is supposed to be a winter beat thread and not "let's complain about the past", the sun angle, and all that baloney. The only thing that I will add is in the deeper south, you have a 6 week window that will end after the second week of February but it doesn't make it impossible.

You know what the other analog that Eric said the long range EPS in early February was looking like...January 2014. So there (and I'm pretty sure I said that in my first post). A Jan '14/Feb '15 look, I'm shooting my shot on. Even with me not where I was for either of them.

As long as we're doing a history lesson today, here's some February/Marchi info about FL since 1900:

February 7, 1907: During the afternoon, a light snow flurry occurred "in the immediate vicinity" of the city of Jacksonville

February 8/9, 1947: A cold wave entering from Canada, accompanied by winds of up to 80 miles per hour (130 km/h; 36 m/s), causes snow as far south as Clearwater

February 2/3, 1951: Snowfall accumulates to 2.0 inches (51 mm) at Saint Augustine and Crescent City

March 6, 1954: 4 in (100 mm) of snow accumulates at Milton Experimental Station, Santa Rosa County, within a 24-hour period, the highest such total for Florida according to official modern records

March 28, 1955: Snowfall accumulates to 1 inch (25 mm) in Marianna along the Florida Panhandle.

February 13, 1958: An overnight rainfall changes to snowfall in Jacksonville and accumulates to 1.5 inches (38 mm).[2] Additionally, Tallahassee reports a record 2.8 inches (71 mm).

February 9, 1973: Snow falls over the northern portion of the state, including a total of 2.0 inches (51 mm) in Pensacola, with unofficial reports of up to 8 inches (200 mm)

March 2, 1980: About 0.25 inches (6.4 mm) of snow covers car tops and patio furniture in Jacksonville

March 1, 1986: 0.5 inches (13 mm) of snow accumulates overnight in Jacksonville

March 12, 1993: The 1993 Storm of the Century produces up to 4 inches (100 mm) of snow along the Florida Panhandle

February 3, 2007: Very light snow flurries are reported in the northeastern panhandle, lasting less than an hour

February 12, 2010: Portions of northwestern Florida experience snowfall totals of around 1 in (25 mm)

February 14, 2010: 0.5 inches (13 mm) of snow fell across the northern halves of Escambia, Santa Rosa, Walton and Okaloosa Counties

March 3, 2013: Snow flurries were reported in the Panhandle, specifically around Panama City Beach

You just never know ...

Now back to regularly scheduled programming ... :cool:

Each and every one of these is noteworthy for sure. However, I'd say the incredibly late 3/28/1955 and 2" St. Augustine should get asterisks for most unusual. Also, note a plurality of these was in the 2nd week of Feb.

One of the biggest snowstorms in Middle Georgia history (the one that all the old timers viewed as the "monster" before 1973) happened on 2/26-28 1914. I know that things like sun angle, lack of strong enough cold air masses, and other issues are always discussed in any storm that strikes the region after Valentine's Day. However, I think that the entire board is basically in play for some form of wintry precipitation until around St. Patrick's Day.

One of the biggest snowstorms in Middle Georgia history (the one that all the old timers viewed as the "monster" before 1973) happened on 2/26-28 1914. I know that things like sun angle, lack of strong enough cold air masses, and other issues are always discussed in any storm that strikes the region after Valentine's Day. However, I think that the entire board is basically in play for some form of wintry precipitation until around St. Patrick's Day.

This same storm not only gave ATL and other areas to the north a nice hit, but I'm nearly 100% sure it hit CHS hard and it definitely gave a very rare major sleet/ZR combo to SAV of all places.

Edit: Would a mod like to move these history posts to its own thread?

This same storm not only gave ATL and other areas to the north a nice hit, but I'm nearly 100% sure it hit CHS hard and it definitely gave a very rare major sleet/ZR to SAV of all places.

Edit: Would a mod like to move these history posts to its own thread?
Larry (and Mods),
If the Mods are so inclined, this thread needs to be renamed and a new one started by or credited to the originator(s) of this one ...
Too much good stuff here to lose by picking and choosing what might get "moved" ...
Phil

Boy, the first week og February looks great. Good potential for cold and a winterstorm in yhe mix. Enjoy this warm weather while you can because February will start with a Boom!!!

Though that PNA and AO remain a bit of a concern ...

Based on what I've seen this winter, a -PNA is a concern that may keep February from truly being really good. Since we still have time, maybe it goes away or we get into a good PNA cycle by the second week of February.

and yeah, most of us are in play until March, it's just rarer after the second week of February but that doesn't mean close the thread or start talking about what's been beaten to death.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_42.png
Been watching this time frame

:eek:
... or maybe the history lesson here in this thread today is good mojo (MJO) for February, and perhaps it all oughta just stay intact ... :rolleyes:

I see you Happy Hour 18z GFS...:rolleyes:

(I think it's a trip by Mr. Polar Vortex)

Attachments

• polarvortex18z.png
    polarvortex18z.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 34
Back