• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

Unfortunately for cold lovers, the deeper we get into February the harder it is to get cold into the south. Plus you have to deal with a much higher sun angle. It can still get cold in Late Feb but it usually doesnt have the staying power.
oh brother, not this **** again...the overblown sun angle...I'll take the snow if I get any and worry about side issues later

I know I don't speak for everyone on here, but I have personally not seen a snowfall of any significance after February 15th since March 1993. Late Feb/March 2015 didn't deliver and neither did March 2009.

I guess my point is after Feb 15th it becomes increasingly unlikely to get snow in the DEEP south but when it does snow it can be a big one like some areas had in March 1993 and March 2009.
Feb 1973 was a decent snowstorm, what dates were those in February?

Cold is one thing. But where is the moisture going come from.... cause dry cold. No good
Think that was said about the last couple of outbreaks, yet many seem to have scored snow and ice

I get some of my best storms in mid-late Februry and I can remember several that stuck around for a week after falling. Hard for the sun angle to be a deterrent when it's shielded by cumulonimbus clouds and its puking snow underneath : )

In 2015 of February I had snow on the ground for nearly 2 weeks from February 16th till almost March. Definitely the longest I’ve ever had snow on the ground. I’ve easily had more snow in February then any other month in all my years living here. I consider all snow before February to be bonus snow in the south.

Feb 1973 was a decent snowstorm, what dates were those in February?

2/9-10.

Interestingly, the 2nd week in Feb has had by far the largest # of measurable snows of any week at CHS/SAV dating back to the 1700s. I think this is also the case at CAE back to the late 1800s, but I need to doublecheck.

Larry, Ice Storm chances start going down with winter systems in February I seem to recall you saying in the past. Is this correct? @GaWx

Yes, Greg. If you love at the number of major ice storms at ATL, they peak in late Jan and then decrease markedly after early Feb whereas major snows peak in mid Feb and there still were a good number in late Feb. However, what's counterintuitive is that the very latest major KATL winter storm was a ZR on 3/25!!

Yes, Greg. If you love at the number of major ice storms at ATL, they peak in late Jan and then decrease markedly after early Feb whereas major snows peak in mid Feb and there still were a good number in late Feb. However, what's counterintuitive is that the very latest major KATL winter storm was a ZR on 3/25!!
You say that there have been a good number of major snows in Late Feb in ATL but I can't think of any in the last 30 years.

You have taught me well over the past 10 years or so my friend. I have learned so much about the local, historical wx from you.

With all due respect to all concerned (being a guilty party myself in this discussion) ... Can we rename this thread "Past February Reminiscences" and get one going about what we might be looking at moving forward ... :eek:

Last edited:
Unfortunately for cold lovers, the deeper we get into February the harder it is to get cold into the south. Plus you have to deal with a much higher sun angle. It can still get cold in Late Feb but it usually doesnt have the staying power.

since I've been in Texas, my best stretch of winter has been late February/early March 2015 :p

You say that there have been a good number of major snows in Late Feb in ATL but I can't think of any in the last 30 years.

Actually, for KATL, you're actually correct this time. For whatever reason, there hasn't been a major SN or IP 2/20-29 there in 66 years! They were in 1952, 1901, 1894, 1889. However, over those same 66 years, there have been a whopping 4 in March and that's excluding the nearly 3" 3/1980! Weird stats.

Are you sure?
:eek:
I more think of February like Oct / early Nov ... ;)

I am just going by how in many ways Feb can be worse than January, sort of like how it gets hotter in August even September more so than July. March and April still can have many surprises in them at least here in Atlanta and most of the interior SE over the last few decades...

Snow came not far from the city. I got a good one even if it turned to rain for a bit in the middle.
Yeah. Can you imagine having that much cold air and then get no snow while areas not far away get snow ? It's torture ! Feb 2015 will go down as my least favorite month ever !

Back