• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December, Make analogs relevant again

The general planetary-synoptic setup still looks fine for something wintry the 3rd week of December (14-21) on the EPS with a deep vortex hanging tough over SE Canada, a succession of clippers and coastal lows over the northeastern US, Great Lakes, and Ohio Valleys helping to replenish the snow cover there and a disturbance in the southern stream lurking over the southwestern US and Baja peninsula.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_11.png

The general planetary-synoptic setup still looks fine for something wintry the 3rd week of December (14-21) on the EPS with a deep vortex hanging tough over SE Canada, a succession of clippers and coastal lows over the northeastern US, Great Lakes, and Ohio Valleys helping to replenish the snow cover there and a disturbance in the southern stream lurking over the southwestern US and Baja peninsula.

View attachment 1816

To your pt. The GEFS also agrees w/the EPS.
f984f66055a23103a1cd6606ff82b2c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
To your pt. The GEFS also agrees w/the EPS.
f984f66055a23103a1cd6606ff82b2c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To add to your point that added to my point (lol), the European operational looks similar to the EPS as well and just has that classic look of overrunning beginning by day 10... The repeated shots of arctic air (w/ another one coming down on this run into the northern tier around day 10 certainly lend some confidence we could be at it yet again before long)
ecmwf_z500_vort_noram_41.png

Last edited:
To add to your point that added to my point (lol), the European operational looks similar to the EPS as well and just has that classic look of overrunning beginning by day 10... The repeated shots of arctic air (w/ another one coming down on this run into the northern tier around day 10 certainly lend some confidence we could be at it yet again before long)
View attachment 1823

I like that look a lot.

View attachment 1823

It's a classic overall look, we just need to get the timing of all the pieces just right but I'm happy with this...

Day ten is setting up for another cold blast with energy kicking out of the SW

Yeah it's nice to see this very consistent look in the guidance... Someone in the southeastern US, TN Valley, and/or mid Atlantic is destined for glory way down the road if that disturbance over the southwestern US kicks out in time

Back