• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern April Showers

I'm not worried about a strong storm wind wise and doubt this would be subtropical, but I'm looking at the heavy rain potential from the modeled SE storm for early next week that has been showing up on virtually every model run for a couple of days. Absent a flooding event, this could be quite beneficial for S SC and SE GA, which until a couple of days ago were in the largest area of D2 drought in the E half of the US. Will be watching closely though as the 12Z GFS and other model runs imply a flooding threat.

Last edited:
Regarding the slow moving large/wet storm forecasted for much of the SE US during next Sun-Tue, 850s are down to as low as +1 to +2 in the WNC mountains on recent GFS runs. The 0Z GFS had Asheville down to 38 with rain. It wouldn't shock me at all if there's significant snow in some of the WNC mtns along with cold rain early next week (4/23-4). Regardless, a cool to cold rain is looking increasingly likely for the NC/TN/SC/GA Appalachians and possibly down to Atlanta. Keep in mind that a very freak snowstorm occurred in much of this area 4/25/1910! Also, Asheville had 2.3" of snow on 4/27-8/1928! Edit: Asheville also got 0.1" 4/24/2005.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about a strong storm wind wise and doubt this would be subtropical, but I'm looking at the heavy rain potential from the modeled SE storm for early next week that has been showing up on virtually every model run for a couple of days. Absent a flooding event, this could be quite beneficial for S SC and SE GA, which until a couple of days ago were in the largest area of D2 drought in the E half of the US. Will be watching closely though as the 12Z GFS and other model runs imply a flooding threat.
Could someone please post 12z Euro run for the storm we expecting to see next week in SC AND GA?

Had another light freeze this morning...bottomed out at 30.7 for about 3 hours.... forecast low was 36 wasn't even under a freeze warning lol. Luckily the wind kept blowing all night preventing it from going any lower I assume. It's a lovely 66 right now... such a beautiful day compared to yesterdays 49 for a high. Looks like a wedge is going to build in Sun/Mon??

Hard to fathom this is even a possibility, this far south and going this deep into April ... but what the heck ... :cool:

jaxgfs.png

Lots of adjectives or other descriptive words may apply, but one that so readily comes to mind is "insane" ...

610temp.new.gif

814temp.new.gif

Slow moving trapped cut off on the EPS.
View attachment 5080 View attachment 5081

If this were to verify, I probably wouldn't even consider watering again for several weeks. What a way to break a drought if it happens!

Edit: note the far south track of the low. This is the kind of track to make me think there's a small chance for significant snow in places like the W NC mountains.

I think winter is just about over here. Starting in a few days it will be in the 60s every day for the forseeable future ! Goodbye cold, hello spring !

If this were to verify, I probably wouldn't even consider watering again for several weeks. What a way to break a drought if it happens!

Edit: note the far south track of the low. This is the kind of track to make me think there's a small chance for significant snow in places like the W NC mountains.
Larry,
You've probably seen it and I'm in a cave through mid next week, but this looks good for some rain your way ...

ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_fh144-240.gif
Best!
Phil

Lots of burnt/dead foliage imby today! Sad
It’s never cold enough when you want it, but plenty cold when you don’t need it! :mad:

Back