• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear GA schools close at even the slightest threat of wintry weather, no matter how insignificant it may be.

Kids spending the night on unheated school buses in 25 degree weather a few years ago still weighs heavily on their minds.
Well obviously everyone knows its not nearly as cold as it was in that storm. Everyone knew it was going to be above freezing today. At the most they should have maybe had a 2 hour delay.

I know that ice is very difficult to drive on, but im wondering if they close schools up north for a light glazing of ice ? I imagine its just as difficult driving on ice up north as it is in the south.

I'm a little upset with all of this precip showing up on the models now that our cold air is headed back to Siberia :(

I'm suprised Greenville county schools pulled the trigger on an event like this knowing they will most likely have several more big winter storm threats this winter like usual

I swear GA schools close at even the slightest threat of wintry weather, no matter how insignificant it may be.

I think there is a lot of liability with buses rolling, especially as there are many rural areas and back roads that can be hazardous in the more northern counties. Just a guess as to why there seems an over abundance of caution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably for the better that no one is out in Atlanta anyway because of what all is going on (president coming, CFP national championship, and apparently there's supposedly going to be a staged protest in Atlanta that likely was planned even before it was announced the president was coming).

But they have indeed gotten softer. We didn't close for bad storms in the past but when Irma hit, yep we closed (Augusta however did have a reason, opening area schools for temporary shelters for the Georgia coast). And I noticed in the past, like with the 2014 significant cold snap, the college I was at went on delay and I swear the counties around my hometown called off school completely (this isn't bleeding into what happened later in the month in my mind). At the very least they went on delay (I do think there was one time with really cold weather before I graduated high school in which we had a delay due to major cold).

Lol the NAM wore a paper crown. It didn't last long as doing well. Back, in the trash can where you belong!

Like I said, you can ignore precip total most likely with the NAM. I think it may have done OK in the western part of the state if you ignore precip total.

I think there is a lot of liability with buses rolling, especially as there are many rural areas and back roads that can be hazardous in the more northern counties. Just a guess as to why there seems an over abundance of caution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's an argument we here every year during winter in the South especially in recent years and I really see both sides of the issue. But when the safety of children are involved I think there's no doubt you err on the side of caution, plus this is a litigation world we live in so I'm sure those factors play tremendously in the decisions they make. I'd hate to be in their shoes because most times no matter what they do it's not going to be right.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Damn Larry is bringing the heat in the January thread

It is that he keep mentioning this without basis. Plus he's got "snow" in his handle. That tells me to be extra wary of possible cold bias. ;)

Seriously, I don't think it is out of line to ask for reasoning behind such bold statements referring to cold camping out and -AO locking in. Whenever I make predictions (warm, cold, wet, dry, whatever) I normally provide backup. Unbacked hype doesn't help with the credibility of the forum.

Last edited:
If the storm in the Mid South verifies in a few days, Columbia, SC will be the shaft center of the Southeast for winter weather this Winter so far.

I'm suprised Greenville county schools pulled the trigger on an event like this knowing they will most likely have several more big winter storm threats this winter like usual
Yeah, there will be plenty more big winter storm threats, I promise! ;)

LOL at the new thread! 5 day out , ULL = Slam dunk!???? Just like the last 6 storms we tracked, but this is different, oh yeah, it'll make its own cold air and dynamic cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back