• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally you would think Fall is a time when temps go up and down but here are my temps the next 14 days: 48, 52, 53, 52, 58, 56, 54, 54, 52, 53, 53, 54, 53, 53. Talk about consistency !

I put mine up the 2nd week of November. I don’t go crazy but I do put a good effort in my decorations and spend a number of hours putting everything up. I don’t like putting in all that effort just to have to turn around and take it all down 3 weeks later.
Do you go all out like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation ?

The Winter of 78 sounds like it was a helluva winter. Apparently there were 2 major blizzards. One on the east coast and another in the midwest. Did anyone experience those blizzards ?

It seems like, for whatever reason, areas further west like Texas have a better chance for snow earlier in the season than the southeast does. I remember watching a Dallas Cowboys football game in the 90s where there was snow or ice on Thanksgiving Day! You never see that kind of weather in Atlanta in November. As far as here in the midwest, I've never been here in the fall so i'm not sure if it ever snows here in November or not.

and yet the biggest snowstorm in Dallas was in February, but there has been snow reported near Halloween before in the same year as the Thanksgiving ice storm.

I'd say there's two windows... November/December then February/March(which in the only snowy winter since I've been here was most of the snow). January never seems to produce here, usually dry cold.

Last edited:
The Winter of 78 sounds like it was a helluva winter. Apparently there were 2 major blizzards. One on the east coast and another in the midwest. Did anyone experience those blizzards ?

1977-78 was the 2nd coldest ATL winter on record (back to 1878-9) but it had very little measurable S/IP (only one 0.3" event in Feb). It did have a good number of trace/light ZR/very cold rain events. Although it was a real winter, a number here would probably have complained about it being cold with the lack of inches.

Edit: Like the prior winter, this was during a weak El Nino.

Last edited:
1977-78 was the 2nd coldest ATL winter on record (back to 1878-9) but it had very little measurable S/IP (only one 0.3" event in Feb). It did have a good number of trace/light ZR/very cold rain events. Although it was a real winter, a number here would probably have complained about it being cold with the lack of inches.
That's really amazing that it could be that cold without much frozen precip. I guess it was just bad luck.

Larry,
Though I was 900 miles north that winter (with more snow than most would see in a lifetime down here), please count me out of the "number here would probably have complained about it being cold with the lack of inches" ... I'd revel to have it happen again and this time be down here ... but then, that's just one grain of sand on the beach, so to say ...

;)

Phil

Edit: Like the prior winter, this was during a weak El Nino.
I wonder how much more the northern suburbs got that year? Maybe the ZR events were snow up where I am?

I wonder how much more the northern suburbs got that year? Maybe the ZR events were snow up where I am?

Cumming had no measurable:
Monthly Total Snowfall for CUMMING 2N, GA
1977-1978 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Also, Gainesville, GA, had nothing measurable. Further north in Blairsville, there was 3". Cartersville had 2".

Also, Gainesville, GA, had nothing measurable. Further north in Blairsville, there was 3". Cartersville had 2".
Where do you find that info ?

I just noticed that GaWx and I have posted about the same amount of messages but he has 4,000 more likes than I do. I feel like an idiot !

Interesting. Guess that was some dry arctic air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back