• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this; Larry can probably provide better info, but perhaps worth posting in Banter ...

Anyone seeking to win the prize at the end of the week may hope there is a good strategy to overcome the incredibly long odds — one in 302,575,350, to be exact — and end up with more money than most people would ever know what to do with.

Should you take the nostalgic route, maybe choosing your child’s birthday, or the day you first recall falling in love? Maybe your anniversary?

While nothing is certain, there are a few numbers that have shown up more often than others in the lottery pull — and, of course, there is one that has been pulled the fewest number of times, too.

According to USA Mega, the most common numbers drawn since 31 October 2017 are one, two, and 28. Those are followed by 14, 17, 42, and 70 — all of which are tied. The number one has been pulled 18 times, two and 28 have been pulled 12 times, and the others were all pulled 11 times.

As for the Mega Ball, the most common ball pulled was 22, which came up seven times.

The least common numbers are 50, 65, 63, 57, 36, and nine. Of those, 50 was chosen just once, and the others were chosen three times.

The least common Mega ball was five.

Unless the balls are fixed/loaded in some way, past balls' results don't mean squat. Same goes for dice on craps table. Same goes for coin flips. Also, whether or not you let the computer pick your numbers doesn't matter as regards chances though certain combos probably would be more likely to be picked (examples; all of the same number, certain patterns like 1-2-3-4-5-6, etc) vs how often they're computer generated. So, that could mean more folks win depending on the winning combo though more would have to split the winnings. So, it would still be a wash.

*Edited

Last edited:
Unless the balls are fixed/loaded in some way, past balls' results don't mean squat. Same goes for dice on craps table. Same goes for coin flips. Also, whether or not you let the computer pick your numbers doesn't matter as regards chances.
I knew you'd set me straight ... :D ... and given the source, it is indeed with pleasure to be the recipient ... ;)

Last edited:
still can't believe Alabama doesn't have the lottery :p

Believe it , thankfully I’ve got friends in Baton Rouge that bought them for me .

Alabama is always behind in everything except championships

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless the balls are fixed/loaded in some way, past balls' results don't mean squat. Same goes for dice on craps table. Same goes for coin flips. Also, whether or not you let the computer pick your numbers doesn't matter as regards chances though certain combos probably would be more likely to be picked (examples; all of the same number, certain patterns like 1-2-3-4-5-6, etc) vs how often they're computer generated. So, that could mean more folks win depending on the winning combo though more would have to split the winnings. So, it would still be a wash.

*Edited
So, Larry, are the odds any better, however minuscule, buying 4 quick pick tickets as opposed to just buying 1?
I ask because I was just scouring articles on the net (bad thing to do, I know ... but with summertime temps in Hogtown in mid-Oct and a sack of ice on the shoulder ... not much else to do for 30 minutes) and some guy who purports to be a statistician said that no number of tickets purchased increases odds; hard to rectify that in terms of daily perception, but I do not honestly know (which is why I spend a lottery on expert witnesses sometimes ... but that's beside the point) ... so, just asking ...
Thanks!
Phil

Last edited:
How about this nugget I just found:

Winning the $1 billion #MegaMillions AND the $470 million #Powerball? One in 88 QUADRILLION (or 88,000,000,000,000,000.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back