• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine how crazy that was over there! They had no regions and a setup like Accuweather's forums still are today. I'm sure it got out of hand extremely fast with everyone wanting to talk about their weather in their back yards. People were scared to start a thread. The NE guys used to come troll the SE thread on the main index, and then the Mid ATL and NE used to come troll the SE on their threads. It was absolutely chaotic.

I actually think that mostly worked OK over there. Me, Cola, and a couple others really started out there and we had our own little group (with some others that have sadly been gone from this centric and likely aren't coming back) and were able to go on ourselves with occasional posters from the NE and Mid ATL coming in just to root for us to get snow and with a few comments about what we were tracking.

Then again I left completely lol before everyone left that place and either went to American or that "other place". Maybe it ended up that way when I left.

The thing is over at American, they didn't have sub forums for the longest time. They were given the ruleset spilt over into the sub region forums that were set for the overall board.

Imagine how crazy that was over there! They had no regions and a setup like Accuweather's forums still are today. I'm sure it got out of hand extremely fast with everyone wanting to talk about their weather in their back yards. People were scared to start a thread. The NE guys used to come troll the SE thread on the main index, and then the Mid ATL and NE used to come troll the SE on their threads. It was absolutely chaotic.

What we have done here is make a forum called SouthernWX. We would love to be larger. We would love to invite any and everyone here to talk about to weather. We still have plans for it in the future, but there are still the problem of if we get too big, do we end up being what AmericanWX is now?

People talk about a couple moderators in the AMWX Southeast section of the site being bad. Imagine if we tried to turn this website into a Conus wide board? I think what happened with American Weather is they went from Eastern Weather to AmericanWX to try and capture that vision of an awesome weather forum for the masses. In the process, everything kind of went to Hell.

Lets be real here. When I type "weather forum" into Google, I see AmericanWX pop up. They achieved what they were after, but they also left a lot to be desired from a lot of perspectives. And no, I am not trying to say we have "overtaken" them in any sense in the Southeast. What I can say, is we try to let everyone have an opinion here.

We aren't a news site. We aren't a forecasting site (yet *cough shane), and we don't try to be powerhouses in our market. We just want people to talk about the weather in the Southeast.

I wish everyone knew how stressful it was to run websites, moderate people (yes it is like a daycare sometimes), and make sure people have a good experience. Hell, I have not even updated our forum software to the newest version recently because I want to make sure people feel comfy here and the theme we currently have is not compatible. (while it makes it easier for us mods and admins!).

Good post. And I remember all of the things you described. I was at Eastern shortly before things broke apart there and AmWx was born.

Didn’t mean to start something...

Anyway, for those not so hyped about the Feb pattern...remember this? It came up when I was setting up my new iPhone, it was on my cloud lol.

138839ded6ffb137254e0278ab4363a2.jpg

Thank god we didn’t have a repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EPS says that might be onto something. :( Not a single fantasy storm anywhere in sight on any run at any distance. You know that's a bad pattern!

Lol, our fab Feb didn't even make it into the first day of February! I think it ran out of gas with the MJO in phase 7. I'll give it another week or so before I completely swan cliff dive.

Things were different two years ago today . We were looking ahead to a massive trough
2b5c428f640a6aafc74defeea8276e1d.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

EPS says that might be onto something. :( Not a single fantasy storm anywhere in sight on any run at any distance. You know that's a bad pattern!
How many 13 day GFS fantasy storms have actually materialized? Maybe it's better there are none showing!?

The thing is over at American, they didn't have sub forums for the longest time. They were given the ruleset spilt over into the sub region forums that were set for the overall board.

What we have done here is make a forum called SouthernWX. We would love to be larger. We would love to invite any and everyone here to talk about to weather. We still have plans for it in the future, but there are still the problem of if we get too big, do we end up being what AmericanWX is now?

People talk about a couple moderators in the AMWX Southeast section of the site being bad. Imagine if we tried to turn this website into a Conus wide board? I think what happened with American Weather is they went from Eastern Weather to AmericanWX to try and capture that vision of an awesome weather forum for the masses. In the process, everything kind of went to Hell.

Lets be real here. When I type "weather forum" into Google, I see AmericanWX pop up. They achieved what they were after, but they also left a lot to be desired from a lot of perspectives. And no, I am not trying to say we have "overtaken" them in any sense in the Southeast. What I can say, is we try to let everyone have an opinion here.

We aren't a news site. We aren't a forecasting site (yet *cough shane), and we don't try to be powerhouses in our market. We just want people to talk about the weather in the Southeast.

I wish everyone knew how stressful it was to run websites, moderate people (yes it is like a daycare sometimes), and make sure people have a good experience. Hell, I have not even updated our forum software to the newest version recently because I want to make sure people feel comfy here and the theme we currently have is not compatible. (while it makes it easier for us mods and admins!).
Yes I've been lazy with the forecasting stuff

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Starting to think I am going to have to go chase a snowstorm before Winter is over. Which really sucks, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that.

I have to agree with what everyone has said about this place and American. It really is more fun here. There are a couple of posters and some mets I would like to see here, but those mets hardly post anymore. But with the way this forum is growing, I think we could see more from there coming over. It's dead there compared to how it was last winter. I personally think it would be good to keep this place focused on the southeast.

Lol, our fab Feb didn't even make it into the first day of February! I think it ran out of gas with the MJO in phase 7. I'll give it another week or so before I completely swan cliff dive.

FWIW it was never supposed to happen for the first week of feb. I’ve largely been saying that and also others have as well.

FWIW it was never supposed to happen for the first week of feb. I’ve largely been saying that and also others have as well.

Yeah I haven't understood why everyone has been so into this weekend and early next week

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back