• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
JBurns is an old cranky fart who runs out just about every good poster from that forum (there are quite a few left who I respect). His power hungry moderating style is that of an obnoxious 16 year old kid who obviously has never handled such responsibility in his entire lifetime. He’s the reason I left AmericanWx and refuse to return until he’s long gone. Good riddance. I’m actually shocked he’s still a mod, they need to invoke the 5th amendment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+10000. He's also a huge reason this forum got started in the first place and is why americanwx forums are progressively getting run into the ground. I rarely go there anymore other than for pure entertainment, that place is becoming a ghost town compared to what it used to be and rightfully so with moderators like him and buckeye running the show.

I agree completely. I learned very early in my career that nothing good can come from being sarcastic if you are a person of authority. It sets a terrible tone and makes that person appear uncaring no matter what the intentions. You can still be funny, but not at the expense of others. I can’t believe Wow hasn’t run him and Buckeye off. I miss many of the posters from the good old days. I’m glad many of the good ones (like yourself) have found their way over here.

Wow is one of the few moderators I genuinely liked over there and I too am surprised he hasn't run them off by now, it would have been a wise decision.

+10000. He's also a huge reason this forum got started in the first place and is why americanwx forums are progressively getting run into the ground. I rarely go there anymore other than for pure entertainment, that place is becoming a ghost town compared to what it used to be and rightfully so with moderators like him and buckeye running the show.
Yeah, I am definitely glad I found this forum when it started up. A few months into being on this board, I stopped reading American and only go over every once in awhile to see if the circus is still going. Looks like all they have left is a few clowns and the trolls somehow took it over and chased of course the good people off. Fortunately, we have a vast amount of administrators and moderators here, so it's not like the JBurns run and Buckeye assisted asylum they are left with. I am sure at their rate, the SE forum won't even exist another few years.
I like that Cheeznado guy from American.
It would be nice to see some more people over here who are knowledgeable. I think he is one of the better posters over there from memory.

Yeah, I am definitely glad I found this forum when it started up. A few months into being on this board, I stopped reading American and only go over every once in awhile to see if the circus is still going. Looks like all they have left is a few clowns and the trolls somehow took it over and chased of course the good people off. Fortunately, we have a vast amount of administrators and moderators here, so it's not like the JBurns run and Buckeye assisted asylum they are left with. I am sure at their rate, the SE forum won't even exist another few years.

It would be nice to see some more people over here who are knowledgeable. I think he is one of the better posters over there from memory.
The reason I came over here was/is because there's a bunch of good natured nuts that don't care about themselves, but rather care about weather, and each other ... and sometimes (thankfully) in reverse order ...

I've lurked there since it was Eastern and needless to say they've become (at least the Southeast forum) what they said they didn't want to become back then. It used to be an informative forum in the past in which I was scared to post on when I was much newer to doing this (because they frowned against IMBY and just uninformative posts), and now I don't care to ever post there.

Heck, the way that board has gone, I wonder if the other sections have gone downhill too.

That WeatherNC guy said 300 hour maps weren't alowed in the AmericanWX Long Term Discussion forum and that they were nothing more than banter lmao you literally can't make this stuff up

That WeatherNC guy said 300 hour maps weren't alowed in the AmericanWX Long Term Discussion forum and that they were nothing more than banter lmao you literally can't make this stuff up
By the way, he is a member over here as well. ;) However, he isn't a mod, and here, we don't care if you post a 384 hour GFS map. If you can't post a 384 happy hour map, then there isn't any fun anymore. Sounds like popping all the balloons at a birthday party.

There's a difference between posting a 300+ hour map and saying "book it, this will happen" and posting it as something to look at as a possibility.

By the way, he is a member over here as well. ;) However, he isn't a mod, and here, we don't care if you post a 384 hour GFS map. If you can't post a 384 happy hour map, then there isn't any fun anymore. Sounds like popping all the balloons at a birthday party.
: ) Yeah I know he's a member here. It's comforting knowing that he isn't a mod and can't dictate the flow of model discussion on this forum

Grit and lookout are also really good and would be great to see on here as well. I don't know if anyone on here used to post on Wright Weather or Storm2k way back in the day but I used to visit them often before easternuswx and americanwx started up.

@WeatherNC is right and honestly, 300 hour fake snow maps in main threads is something we don't want over here either. This banter thread is just fine for them.

I'd like to add that WeatherNC was never the problem for some over there. Same with Lookout, although he can/could get a bit angry with his moderation sometimes.

Lets try to you know, not board shame on here. It lowers our character. Thanks.

I like AmWx fine. But I think the issue is that the core group, some of which are mods, came up in the forum world operating under the framework of a certain style. That’s fine. And if they want to feel that way, so be it.

Personally, I think 384 maps are, in fact, a bit banterish, especially since they are almost never representative of reality. That’s just a fact. But where I think they make the miss is that we are all here because we love to talk about weather. And quite frequently, that often reflects or manifests in discussing things that are unlikely to happen, like snowstorms, even when they’re shown 48 hours out.

This isn’t serious business. Nobody’s livelihood is at stake. It isn’t life or death. We’re all here because we love the weather and talking about possibilities and drooling over 384 hr snow maps. We can pretend we’re above them, but deep down, you know you like seeing the P04 384 hr ensemble member showing 340” of snow at your house. Anyway, hopefully through this process, we learn a few things, have a little fun, and make a few friends along the way. And there’s nothing wrong with that, as far as I can see, especially when there’s nothing going on.

I’ll post at American as long as they’ll have me. But I like the less “critical” nature of the process over here. You guys run this place very, very well, IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I like AmEx fine. But I think the issue is that the core group, some of which are mods, came up in the forum world operating under the framework of a certain style. That’s fine. And if they want to feel that way, so be it.

Personally, I think 384 maps are, in fact, a bit banterish, especially since they are almost never representative of reality. That’s just a fact. But where I think they make the miss is that we are all here because we love to talk about weather. And quite frequently, that often reflects or manifests in discussing things that are unlikely to happen, like snowstorms, even when they’re shown 48 hours out.

This isn’t serious business. Nobody’s livelihood is at stake. It isn’t life or death. We’re all here because we love the weather and talking about possibilities and drooling over 384 hr snow maps. We can pretend we’re above them, but deep down, you know you like seeing the P04 384 hr ensemble member showing 340” of snow at your house. Anyway, hopefully through this process, we learn a few things, have a little fun, and make a few friends along the way. And there’s nothing wrong with that, as far as I can see, especially when there’s nothing going on.

I’ll post at American as long as they’ll have me. But I like the less “critical” nature of the process over here. You guys run this place very, very well, IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

The thing is over at American, they didn't have sub forums for the longest time. They were given the ruleset spilt over into the sub region forums that were set for the overall board.

Imagine how crazy that was over there! They had no regions and a setup like Accuweather's forums still are today. I'm sure it got out of hand extremely fast with everyone wanting to talk about their weather in their back yards. People were scared to start a thread. The NE guys used to come troll the SE thread on the main index, and then the Mid ATL and NE used to come troll the SE on their threads. It was absolutely chaotic.

What we have done here is make a forum called SouthernWX. We would love to be larger. We would love to invite any and everyone here to talk about to weather. We still have plans for it in the future, but there are still the problem of if we get too big, do we end up being what AmericanWX is now?

People talk about a couple moderators in the AMWX Southeast section of the site being bad. Imagine if we tried to turn this website into a Conus wide board? I think what happened with American Weather is they went from Eastern Weather to AmericanWX to try and capture that vision of an awesome weather forum for the masses. In the process, everything kind of went to Hell.

Lets be real here. When I type "weather forum" into Google, I see AmericanWX pop up. They achieved what they were after, but they also left a lot to be desired from a lot of perspectives. And no, I am not trying to say we have "overtaken" them in any sense in the Southeast. What I can say, is we try to let everyone have an opinion here.

We aren't a news site. We aren't a forecasting site (yet *cough shane), and we don't try to be powerhouses in our market. We just want people to talk about the weather in the Southeast.

I wish everyone knew how stressful it was to run websites, moderate people (yes it is like a daycare sometimes), and make sure people have a good experience. Hell, I have not even updated our forum software to the newest version recently because I want to make sure people feel comfy here and the theme we currently have is not compatible. (while it makes it easier for us mods and admins!).

Didn’t mean to start something...

Anyway, for those not so hyped about the Feb pattern...remember this? It came up when I was setting up my new iPhone, it was on my cloud lol.

138839ded6ffb137254e0278ab4363a2.jpg

Thank god we didn’t have a repeat.

Didn’t mean to start something...

Anyway, for those not so hyped about the Feb pattern...remember this? It came up when I was setting up my new iPhone, it was on my cloud lol.

138839ded6ffb137254e0278ab4363a2.jpg

Thank god we didn’t have a repeat.

Holy hell . This should make us all feel much better

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back