• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 2/3-2/4 Mixed Bag NC, SC, NE GA

The 3km NAM wants to develop an embedded squall line along the edge of the very sharp CAD boundary late on Sunday. Can't entirely rule out a threat for severe weather in this case especially those along and just east of the boundary. There will be an area of significantly enhanced storm relative helicity and baroclinicity wherever the SE edge of the CAD dome sets up
View attachment 3739
Per the NAM, there isn't any CAPE, no updraft helicity, and no sign of severe WX. The line only lasts a couple hours outside the temp change and quickly falls apart as well. It may look severe to you, but I see nothing outside a strong wind gust.

Per the NAM, there isn't any CAPE, no updraft helicity, and no sign of severe WX. The line only lasts a couple hours outside the temp change and quickly falls apart as well. It may look severe to you, but I see nothing outside a strong wind gust.
The wind gusts along the line aren't really all that far off from severe limits, it wouldn't take much given the extreme baroclinicity along the edge of the CAD dome and the winds aloft if the convection is intense enough. I've seen many situations like this occasionally produce embedded, rain-wrapped and brief spin up tornadoes, especially near the Triad which is why there's a secondary max in tornado density near Winston-Salem and near/just west of Charlotte as Brandon Vincent of NWS RAH discussed several years ago during the storm spotter training session on campus at NCSU. Many of those tornadoes in the central-western piedmont formed along CAD boundaries like this one.
hires_gust_mph_raleigh_51.png

small.allen.nc.tornado.density.png

The CAPE is virtually 0 as you'd expect in a case like this but the storms formed anyway and the storm relative helicities are supportive of rotating, embedded mesocyclones, you only need about 100-150 0-1km SRH to produce tornadoes, not saying that's going to happen here obviously but it's a very legitimate possibility. The CAD dome acts as a pseudo topographic surface as well as a region of localized relative vorticity and baroclinicity, as the elevated storms pass the boundary of the CAD dome, they'll undergo a little stretching as the dome slopes downwards towards the ground underneath them which aids in the generation of vorticity...

hires_helicity0_raleigh_51.png

The wind gusts along the line aren't really all that far off from severe limits, it wouldn't take much given the extreme baroclinicity along the edge of the CAD dome and the winds aloft if the convection is intense enough. I've seen many situations like this occasionally produce embedded, rain-wrapped and brief spin up tornadoes, especially near the Triad which is why there's a secondary max in tornado density near Winston-Salem and near/just west of Charlotte as Brandon Vincent of NWS RAH discussed several years ago during the storm spotter training session on campus at NCSU. Many of those tornadoes in the central-western piedmont formed along CAD boundaries like this one.
View attachment 3740

View attachment 3741
Absolutely, don't recall dates/specifics but I've seen many times severe right along the CAD and a few tornadoes in those situations, usually nothing widespread but it certainly has happened a number of times. Models usually miss it too if I recall correctly. The wedge can be as fickle for NWP as ull to be honest

Absolutely, don't recall dates/specifics but I've seen many times severe right along the CAD and a few tornadoes in those situations, usually nothing widespread but it certainly has happened a number of times. Models usually miss it too if I recall correctly. The wedge can be as fickle for NWP as ull to be honest

Yeah I completely agree, many cases there's nothing but I've seen instances where a few mesocyclones pop up embedded within the squall line right along the edge of the CAD boundary but once they get far removed from this source of relative vorticity they often weaken quite rapidly and dissipate. It's just another hazard we might have to lookout for in addition to some freezing drizzle or light freezing rain near the onset.

Latest 12K NAM, still looking icy for NE GA and W Carolinas for a few hours Sunday

namconus_asnow_seus_14.png
Nam realy likes the ice idea for north east GA

this would be the cruel punchline for this winter in CHA if the front end thump over-performs and gives us an inch or two of snow only to be washed away hours later by the warm nose moving in with rain.

Winter Weather Advisory implemented for the Triad. Freezing Rain expected from 6 to 9AM Sunday morning before warming to plain rain. Really worried it will go longer than that because these CAD events almost always do. Right now just a light glaze is anticipated but I am not so sure

Winter Weather Advisory implemented for the Triad. Freezing Rain expected from 6 to 9AM Sunday morning before warming to plain rain. Really worried it will go longer than that because these CAD events almost always do. Right now just a light glaze is anticipated but I am not so sure
Going to be a real battle from the triad to the foot of the apps to get above freezing tomorrow. Models are starting really hit on the idea of the in situ wedge locking in. You can see the wind barbs on the 3k nam flipping from E to north and a narrow ridge axis in that area. I think the area from yadkinville to Morganton might over perform possibly even east of there. But the lack of a consistent dry feed should allow of latent heat release from the freezing rain to push these areas to 32 33 by mid afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Going to be a real battle from the triad to the foot of the apps to get above freezing tomorrow. Models are starting really hit on the idea of the in situ wedge locking in. You can see the wind barbs on the 3k nam flipping from E to north and a narrow ridge axis in that area. I think the area from yadkinville to Morganton might over perform possibly even east of there. But the lack of a consistent dry feed should allow of latent heat release from the freezing rain to push these areas to 32 33 by mid afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah I agree, seen this so many times here, forecast calls for a changeover much quicker than it turns out almost every time. It is kind of the reverse warm nose which happens during most snows and hardly ever is forecast

This would be pretty much worst case scenario. Hopefully, it's wrong.View attachment 3757
I honestly don't get the whole Forsyth county ice hole, but it's showing up a lot, so it's going to verify. However, if I wake up to freezing rain and icing, or I get sleet instead, it's a bust. It would also be a bust if it's way colder or way warmer tonight.

this would be the cruel punchline for this winter in CHA if the front end thump over-performs and gives us an inch or two of snow only to be washed away hours later by the warm nose moving in with rain.
Ugh those are the worst. I believe it was in 2010 where I got 2.5 inches of snow one evening that then switched to rain and washed it all away. If I remember correctly it switched back to snow and dumped 2 more inches at the end. It was one of the wackier storms I can recall. I just remember thinking if the whole system had stayed snow I would have had the rare 6 plus inch accumulating snow.

Back