• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even a cold pattern at H5 goes to show you the cold building up in the Arctic, that even a little pattern change could mean freezer. The only thing is, that a pattern change isn't forecasted.

yeah...if we could just get that ridge shoved over AK it would atleast dump a ton of cold hp into the conus. Op tries

81B95BD0-207C-4D23-98CC-ED4FDC0DC7AD.png

Honestly that post from PSU Hoffman in the MA forum last week made me throw in the towel. He ran the numbers and it adds up. So I’m 90% out. But I’ll be here regardless

From Tim Buckley (for GSO):

“We average 72 mornings a year below freezing. In 2019 we had only 45.”

Could 2020 beat 2019?

Well I'm there Sunday Night through Friday morning still think this could be my only shot at snow this winter

Even though this has come down a lot from a few days ago it's still better than the zero here lol also no ski resorts here either :p

View attachment 29453
Congrats, Brent. You’ll see snow. And a good amount of it!

If we’re being honest the Gfs is really close to a good storm after this upper level low situation ... we should keep our eye open for any last minute shifts that could bring us a surprise storm .. but wouldn’t count on it obviously

If we’re being honest the Gfs is really close to a good storm after this upper level low situation ... we should keep our eye open for any last minute shifts that could bring us a surprise storm .. but wouldn’t count on it obviously

Still can't rule out token flakes and/or isolated rain/snow showers as the upper low passes over. Even w/ surface temps in the lower 40s, the freezing level will be so close to the ground that any respectable precip (if it develops) could produce some snow because the hydrometeors wouldn't have enough time to melt.

download (10).png

Congrats, Brent. You’ll see snow. And a good amount of it!

I hope so... this trip has been a long time coming. I was gonna go last winter but had no money lol

Last time I saw more than a flizzard was another vacation in NYC in February 2018 (which was a freak snowstorm in the middle of near record warmth lol)

Still can't rule out token flakes and/or isolated rain/snow showers as the upper low passes over. Even w/ surface temps in the lower 40s, the freezing level will be so close to the ground that any respectable precip (if it develops) could produce some snow because the hydrometeors wouldn't have enough time to melt.

View attachment 29469
Webb, Curious if you would happen to know of a formula for how long it would take for snow to melt taking into account the intensity/lift and temp/dew point rate of change as it’s column.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back