• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus is in many ways climate change denial in a test tube, it’s amazing how the same group of people use basically the exact same tactics to downplay the significance of the coronavirus as they do climate change. How’s this been working out for them so far?
Remember when it was just a big liberal media hoax?
Good times
You do realize one can be skeptical and prepared at the same time right? Also you're a brilliant individual and probably make good points but they get missed because of the condescending way you speak to people. You'd get far more positive response if you'd speak to people instead of at them. Calling them stupid, arrogant, ignorant, narrow minded, accusing them of throwing temper tantrums, etc just doesn't help.

You do realize one can be skeptical and prepared at the same time right? Also you're a brilliant individual and probably make good points but they get missed because of the condescending way you speak to people. You'd get far more positive response if you'd speak to people instead of at them. Calling them stupid, arrogant, ignorant, narrow minded, accusing them of throwing temper tantrums, etc just doesn't help.

The initial rationale from some (president included) that was an overhyped liberal media hoax, an attempt by the government to assert more control into their daily lives, &/or it's just the flu virus (thus it's "normal" "natural" &/or happens all the time), also directly applies to climate change and everyone clearly sees how this approach is working out for them wrt CoV-19.

To reiterate from another thread, would you also be more than willing to tell people who are about to be hit by a category 4-5 hurricane or a large wedge tornado to be skeptical of the media hype surrounding it? Do you really think that would elicit a response enticing more preparedness for said natural disaster or would that actually encourage complacency? Do you honestly believe that telling people this is a bunch of hype would actually get them to take the threat more seriously? How do you not see the glaring contradiction here?

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Tone matters a lot. This is a good time to exemplify a good attitude and a measure of patience toward others. People deal with/handle things in different ways. It's ok to be right and not beat people up over it.

Webb, I echo Met's sentiment in terms of your contributions here and to the weather community. But sarcasm and condescension will not be long-term allies. I strongly agree with most of your views about this situation. But I wish the communication about it could be more neutral in tone.

Last edited:
The initial rationale from some (president included) that was an overhyped liberal media hoax, an attempt by the government to assert more control into their daily lives, &/or it's just the flu virus (thus it's "normal" "natural" &/or happens all the time), also directly applies to climate change and everyone clearly sees how this approach is working out for them wrt CoV-19.

To reiterate from another thread, would you also be more than willing to tell people who are about to be hit by a category 4-5 hurricane or a large wedge tornado to be skeptical of the media hype surrounding it? Do you really think that would elicit a response enticing more preparedness for said natural disaster or would that actually encourage complacency? Do you honestly believe that telling people this is a bunch of hype would actually get them to take the threat more seriously? How do you not see the glaring contradiction here?
I like the Cat 5 hurricane analogy and used it myself yesterday in a conversation with someone, in person not on this board or any board.... but if I see a Cat 5 storm in the Atlantic and all model guidance is showing it heading right for mby, I would be skeptical of that verifying BUT I would also be prepared for the worse just in case it did. We've seen many storms hyped to be the next Andrew or Katrina that just never materialized to that degree, some people panicked, some were not as impressed but I dare say most actually made the preparations. My point has been and continues to be, I can be a skeptic as to the final results of this virus but still be prepared for the worse, those 2 things do not contradict one another.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Tone matters a lot. This is a good time to exemplify a good attitude and a measure of patience toward others. People deal with/handle things in different ways. It's ok to be right and not beat people up over it.

Web, I echo Met's sentiment in terms of your contributions here and to the weather community. But sarcasm and condescension will not be long-term allies. I strongly agree with most of your views about this situation. But I wish the communication about it could be more neutral in tone.

I've been very harsh on CoV-19 because this is an issue really like no other we've ever seen (or probably ever will see) again in our lifetimes and the impact nationwide is going to be nothing short of catastrophic even if it lasts a few months. I'd really like people (especially those who were skeptical of the broad-sweeping impacts) to seriously evaluate the evolution of their views on this virus and learn something from it. There's also a good reason the writ of habeas corpus is suspended during times of national crisis, this is one of those few extremely rare instances in your life where what you think or say (even in this setting) and the actions of even a few select individuals that aren't in any position of power actually have the potential to have a very significant impact on public safety even abroad (for ex: attending a very large church gathering w/ over 100 people and even though there are no cases of CoV-19 in your area, one of those individuals is asymptomatic for the coronavirus and because of that they spread it to most who attend and the virus spreads like wildfire throughout the community). Sorry, but not sorry.

I like the Cat 5 hurricane analogy and used it myself yesterday in a conversation with someone, in person not on this board or any board.... but if I see a Cat 5 storm in the Atlantic and all model guidance is showing it heading right for mby, I would be skeptical of that verifying BUT I would also be prepared for the worse just in case it did. We've seen many storms hyped to be the next Andrew or Katrina that just never materialized to that degree, some people panicked, some were not as impressed but I dare say most actually made the preparations. My point has been and continues to be, I can be a skeptic as to the final results of this virus but still be prepared for the worse, those 2 things do not contradict one another.

That's fine on a personal & exclusively internal level, but my point is you do not want this to be a primary pillar in public messaging wrt natural &/or man-made disasters, for people in power (even of your party) you definitely do not want any morsel of skepticism to permeate into how you communicate the virus to the common man, this only creates more confusion and encourages complacency.

I've been very harsh on CoV-19 because this is an issue really like no other we've ever seen (or probably ever will see) again in our lifetimes and the impact nationwide is going to be nothing short of catastrophic even if it lasts a few months. I'd really like people (especially those who were skeptical of the broad-sweeping impacts) to seriously evaluate the evolution of their views on this virus and learn something from it. There's also a good reason the writ of habeas corpus is suspended during times of national crisis, this is one of those few extremely rare instances in your life where what you think or say (even in this setting) and the actions of even a few select individuals that aren't in any position of power actually have the potential to have a very significant impact on public safety even abroad (for ex: attending a very large church gathering w/ over 100 people and even though there are no cases of CoV-19 in your area, one of those individuals is asymptomatic for the coronavirus and because of that they spread it to most who attend and the virus spreads like wildfire throughout the community). Sorry, but not sorry.
I agree, but you can't beat people into submission. Many times, that bows people up and creates hostility. In fact, most of the time, that's what happens. Some people, you can't convince. Better to just walk away than watch your own stature in the community get undermined. That's all I'm saying. I don't want to argue about it. So you take the last word, and I'll consider the matter closed from my end.

I love the "Sorry, not sorry" phrase, it's very typical of the cancel culture we live in. Even when level headed peers attempt to discuss and keep open minds, the response is still the same. "I'm right(smart) you're wrong(dumb), so either agree with with me or I will berate you into being quite." And usually the berating involves big words and a set of "facts" that support the opinion of the "smiter of the uninformed". So the only way to be saved from being uninformed is to agree with the informed and ask no questions(because they'll tell you no lies). There will be plenty of time to be "right" down the road, now seems to be a time to be informative, without bias. Because when you argue with bias, the return argument will almost always contain bias, at which point the informative truth is lost. In the words of Michael Scott(Dunder Mifflin Co-Regional Manager) quoting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., "Why can't we all just get along?".

Anyone else feel that earthquake last night I screamed to mother with all that’s going on in the world

I highly, highly doubt that. If this is worst thing we face, we are the most spoiled group of people in history and it’s not even close.

Reading post this morning....

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like they're going to try for an October Masters in Augusta, needless to say, that's going to be INCREDIBLY interesting. How does CBS try to juggle that and college/NFL football?

It's unconfirmed, but they're already whispering about it. Things like extending fall break, moving around events that happen in Augusta in the fall...

Sounds like they're going to try for an October Masters in Augusta, needless to say, that's going to be INCREDIBLY interesting. How does CBS try to juggle that and college/NFL football?

It's unconfirmed, but they're already whispering about it. Things like extending fall break, moving around events that happen in Augusta in the fall...

That makes sense from a similar wx standpoint, especially if it is in late Oct. Between the two, I know what I’ll be watching. I wish they’d do it in early November. Then instead of the flowers, they could show the autumn leaves (though they may have a lot of evergreen).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back