• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man made clouds here in Atlanta.
6afa0fdf0eac10cab177dd8b5a15e099.jpg

Really cool to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had two storms within two weeks in 2014. The former was about 3" and the latter was about 4.5"-5".

Then we picked up 2" in a March snowstorm in 2017. In January of '18 we had about 15-25 minutes of light to moderate snow but it was your true run-of-the-mill novelty event.

This is why I believe a lot of the stuff mentioned re: Columbia is really overplayed. It's mainly envy driven when a small faction see other areas or regions getting wintry precipitation.

Outside of the early 90's (even those early 90's storms werent anything I'd consider "big") most of the 90's sucked when it came to winter weather here. The best for me was the Winter's of the 80's, and even the 80's was hit with about two or three year lull without much or any action.
Yeah, Wikipedia lists the average annual snowfall at CAE as 1.5". It sounds like the 2010s were basically right around average or even slightly above, assuming that's accurate (it seems reasonable to me).

Like you said, I think a lot of it is that Midland SC people compare themselves to central NC since we're in the same sub forum and think they're doing badly. But there's a reason RDU/GSO/etc. average something like 3-4 times CAE's yearly snowfall mean. Their climo is just a lot better for snowfall. If I compared my snowfall to Boone's, I am in a similar position to CAE.

It was nice to see some snow again, even though it did not end up accumulating much here. It's still pretty to see, and it is something very rare for us in the south. We have to enjoy whatever we can get here. I think the best thing to do as far as following the models is concerned is just to be happy they are showing a chance of snow here, because they very rarely get the amounts right. I am not sure why it is harder for them to get snow amounts right and where it will end up here. Maybe there are just too many factors and small details for a computer to handle it well. It seems the best way to approach it is to take note there is a chance of snow, prepare for it, and then just enjoy whatever happens, because Mother Nature is just going to do what it's going to do with snow here.

The 1990s were horrid in Columbia. I'd take the 2000s and 2010s anyday over the 90s when it comes to Winter Weather.
But back in my day Columbia got several storms with over a foot of snow each winter. AND we still had to school! And the bus stop was five miles away from our house in a blizzard and the walk was uphill BOTH WAYS!!!

Hope we can have a few days in the 70s start popping up. I’m ready for Sprummer and drought. We need to dry out ASAP! Plus I miss playing golf.

quite an about face ... understandable nonetheless ... though personally, if we saw highs in the 60's into June, one (or 2) members here in bug land would be ecstatic ...
?

There will be many fire-pits lit tomorrow evening and I bet quite a few adult river pepsi's consumed all over the SouthEast!??

Count me in that list for fires and adult beverages. Our new home has a back patio with a large fireplace at one end and an outdoor kitchen at the other. We also have two propane heaters so we like to "live" out there when it's not too cold.

Count me in that list for fires and adult beverages. Our new home has a back patio with a large fireplace at one end and an outdoor kitchen at the other. We also have two propane heaters so we like to "live" out there when it's not too cold.

Just set mine up
56125a15a970e55e19d9294f39990f37.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back