• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb13snowfallmap.jpg

How was your winter an A- before the snow? :oops:

I work in an environment with no heat. Most winters are brutally cold and I spend 12 hours freezing my butt off at work. In years where its cold and dry are miserable and I hate them.

This year theres been NIGHT shifts where I am wearing short sleeve shirts.

So not freezing to death at work equals A- and getting snow inbetween our record highs last week and our upcoming temps near 70 equals A+.

We had another doozy the following year in 2011.
Yeah, and another couple inches in 2014.

What’s funny is that given those three storms, CAE averaged about 1.3” of year, which is right around average.

Yes...assuming your talking CAE to GSP.

The bigger and much more important question is will Raleigh ever see another double digit winter...it's been 16 years and counting. Prior to 2004 we would avg a double digit winter every 3-4 years. Far more concerning.

Yeah, and another couple inches in 2014.

What’s funny is that given those three storms, CAE averaged about 1.3” of year, which is right around average.

We had two storms within two weeks in 2014. The former was about 3" and the latter was about 4.5"-5".

Then we picked up 2" in a March snowstorm in 2017. In January of '18 we had about 15-25 minutes of light to moderate snow but it was your true run-of-the-mill novelty event.

This is why I believe a lot of the stuff mentioned re: Columbia is really overplayed. It's mainly envy driven when a small faction see other areas or regions getting wintry precipitation.

Outside of the early 90's (even those early 90's storms werent anything I'd consider "big") most of the 90's sucked when it came to winter weather here. The best for me was the Winter's of the 80's, and even the 80's was hit with about two or three year lull without much or any action.

Last edited:
We had two storms within two weeks in 2014. The former was about 3" and the latter was about 4.5"-5".

Then we picked up 2" in a March snowstorm in 2017. In January of '18 we had about 15-25 minutes of light to moderate snow but it was your true run-of-the-mill novelty event.

Didn’t CAE get a big Halloweeen snowfall a couple of years back?

Didn’t CAE get a big Halloweeen snowfall a couple of years back?

Close, as it was actually November 1st, 2014. The West Columbia and Lexington area was hit with anywhere between 2"-4" of snow. On my side of town, I only had about a 1/2" of snow.

But you're right for the most part when it came to a good storm overall.

The answer to that question is absolutely! I can recall several (good) events the last 20 years. The years of 2000, 2010, 2014,2015, 2018 (sure im missing a couple) have brought winter to the lowcountry of South Carolina. In the years to come there will be icy winters, warm winters, near miss winters, and jackpot winters. Its the south and the reason why it is so magical when it occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back