• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Whamby 2020, a New Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 and 2 in Spartanburg may get a delay Friday, but the others will be business as usual. Having to depend on cold air coming in to change rain over to snow almost never works in SC.
Generally I would I agree, however north of 85 (I know it’s overused) Greenville, Spartanburg, Pickens, Cherokee can throw down some accumulations with late arriving cold. Timing is still paramount

3610d719cec934fc04ea9a05d09614b5.jpg

I mean, other than the last time we had a decent snowfall here
The Dec 2018 storm worked out for I-85 and north, but the rest of SC rest had mostly rain out of it. If That high was in NY or PA and we had that cold air in place to start, we would be sitting pretty for at least sleet or freezing rain.

The Dec 2018 storm worked out for I-85 and north, but the rest of SC rest of SC had mostly rain out of it. If That high was in NY or PA and we had that cold air in place to start, we would be sitting pretty for at least sleet or freezing rain.
Well i got out of school for 2 1/2 days from that one.

Well i got out of school for 2 1/2 days from that one.
You we just barely far enough north though. I think the city of Spartanburg itself got between 1-3 from NW to SE out of it. A good bit more of course from Chesnee to Landrum where up to 6+ fell. The snow line got to me for 30 minutes before going back north and leaving us with rain.

You we just barely far enough north though. I think the city of Spartanburg itself got between 1-3 from NW to SE out of it. A good bit more of course from Chesnee to Landrum where up to 6+ fell. The snow line got to me for 30 minutes before going back north and leaving us with rain.
Yeah I picked up 2.3 of mainly sleet. I'd be thrilled for that again lol

Meh, I am starting to sense a huge bust potential with this system. (and not that good kind) I don't like what some of the short-range models are showing. I am normally optimistic about storms, especially with it being less than 24 hours out. But there are just so many options on the table. I fear a lot of us may end up highly disappointed. I hope that's not the case though. I cannot believe it's 2020 and we still have this much model inconsistency. It blows my mind! And to boot, not one county is under a watch or advisory of any kind. It's almost laughable.

Less than 24 hours away from the start of a potential winter storm and not a brine truck in sight.
There are certain protocols that are implemented with winter storm watches. In this case, they have not been issued by the National Weather Service. At the very least, the cold temperatures will potentially cause travel issues on bridges and overpasses with black ice. Since this will occur on Thursday night going into Friday (a workday), I feel like NWS is dropping the ball. They can call for a watch and then go to an Advisory if there's not enough snow to warrant a Warning.

There are certain protocols that are implemented with winter storm watches. In this case, they have not been issued by the National Weather Service. At the very least, the cold temperatures will potentially cause travel issues on bridges and overpasses with black ice. Since this will occur on Thursday night going into Friday (a workday), I feel like NWS is dropping the ball. They can call for a watch and then go to an Advisory if there's not enough snow to warrant a Warning.

NCDOT cannot put down brine without an advisory or watch? That seems crazy to me.

The regional models look great, the globals not as much. I should just assume whatever models show the least snow will be right, so I should be battering down for T-2". However, I'm a weenie so I can't do that.

Meh, I am starting to sense a huge bust potential with this system. (and not that good kind) I don't like what some of the short-range models are showing. I am normally optimistic about storms, especially with it being less than 24 hours out. But there are just so many options on the table. I fear a lot of us may end up highly disappointed. I hope that's not the case though. I cannot believe it's 2020 and we still have thus much model inconsistency. It blows my mind!

I've come to the conclusion this is going to be a best case "March" type of event, just a couple weeks early. Wet snow generally will be falling, some accumulation on grassy/elevated surfaces will take place, but mostly just slushy on streets due to surface temps. You hear the gutters draining throughout the event.

Afterwards, reporters on TV will show kids sledding down hills that are mostly brown from all the mud, and these sad little snow men will pop up everywhere. Schools will be on a 2 hour delay on Friday to accommodate for the black ice the next day just to be safe. Then we all move on to Spring where according to Larry we'll probably have another March event in a couple weeks! lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back