• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

31 years ago today the blizzard of 93 was spawning tornadoes in Florida getting ready to hammer many areas in the southeast and up the east coast.

Probably never see that storm again

I was 4 years old in Alabama and it's still one of my most vivid memories at that age. I remember the snow drifts taller than me and walking to a friend's house who I assume had power. Mom was pregnant with my sister too

The dude on the radio back then where we lived said he didn't go home for 5 days

Dang, Winterplace is already shut down. Sugar Mtn is still open, but they must be hanging on, too. They often stay open far later than they probably should, though, LOL. Don’t think I’m going to make it out to ski this year, sadly, since it would have to be two weekends from now and I doubt there’s any snow left at any of the localish resorts by then, unless I drive to Snowshoe. But that’s a bit far for what I’d rather do in a day trip.

Beech and App both made snow a couple days ago, but they're set to close this weekend. Sugar already put their snow guns away and think they'll do fine with the thick base they've laid throughout the season. Not sure if they'd make it to the next weekend though.

I think we need a spring gripes/complaints/musings/deep thoughts thread
just wait and the Garden thread will suffice starting in May. Soon as that Garden gets planted , we go death valley dry. Like Clockwork.

Georgia Weather History for March 13th​

In 1993, the 'Storm of the Century' produced record amounts of snow across north Georgia. Wind gusts near 65 mph across extreme north Georgia produced blizzard conditions as visibilities dropped to zero in many areas. Total snowfall by late evening averaged 18 to 24 inches from Rome to Clayton with near 30 inches from Fannin to Union Counties. Snow drifts up to 10 feet high were reported. In Murray, Whitfield and Gordon Counties in northwest Georgia, damage estimates to businesses and homes were over $300 million. Over 120 carpet businesses in northwest Georgia were destroyed or damaged from high wind or the weight of heavy snow. Over 90 chicken houses were destroyed in north Georgia killing at least 1.3 million chickens. Thousands of trees were uprooted with damage costs of wood products and cleanup estimated at $5 to $10 million. Travel across extreme north Georgia, especially along the I-75 corridor, was brought to a standstill for up to a week following the blizzard conditions.

Had a front row seat 1993 in the mtns for the superstorm. Incredible experience. True Blizzard
I’ve seen thunder snow and whiteouts with several other storms but to have something like that for hours on end was unreal. I’m so thankful I got to witness that.

Last day of work will be July 26th (maybe 2 days sooner), retirement trip booked and fly out SW on July 31st. Wife and I going to Tombstone, Az for a night, then 3 nights at Grand Canyon then heading over to experience the hottest place in the Country, Death Valley for a night stay then Vegas before heading back home. Woooohooooo!!!!

Last day of work will be July 26th (maybe 2 days sooner), retirement trip booked and fly out SW on July 31st. Wife and I going to Tombstone, Az for a night, then 3 nights at Grand Canyon then heading over to experience the hottest place in the Country, Death Valley for a night stay then Vegas before heading back home. Woooohooooo!!!!
This place has been alive long enough to make your retirement I'm impressed

Congratulations!!!! Have a great trip… you’ve obviously earned it

Congrats!

Back