• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

Was going to post this in global warming thread but don’t see it. But probably fits here also as we are not the only ones frustrated.

And I’m not trying to push any narrative lol!

Was going to post this in global warming thread but don’t see it. But probably fits here also as we are not the only ones frustrated.

Personally, I don't see any issue with posting it here. The problem comes when people start debating and arguing about the extent to which we are causing the issue. Hopefully, we can avoid that in this thread. In any event, I think the article has merit. And it is sad.

This article was posted in the Reminiscing thread a few weeks back. It has a specific focus on the upper Midwest. The thing is, areas like Minneapolis had above normal snowfall just last season. The upper Midwest typically doesn’t do as well with cold and snow in El Niños like this season, and the author mentions that at the beginning of the article. It mentions how warm the temperatures were on Christmas 2023. The high in Minneapolis was only 8 degrees on Christmas Day in 2022. The highest temperature in Minneapolis in all of January 2023 was 37 degrees.

They couldn’t have gotten by with this journalism last season, but are taking advantage of a warm season this year to spread fear. I personally think an article focusing on the east coast snow drought would be a lot more effective. The upper Midwest will probably have a good season again next winter with the upcoming La Niña.

I want to know how is that possible out west where they have been real cold with hundreds of inches of snow and top five warmest? 😒🙃😳
Really? You don't understand how mountain regions can have a lot of snow while also being much warmer than normal?

If the last 10 years are what global warming looks like for Nashville, I’ll take it.😂 In all seriousness though If not for that big snow in January this winter would have been one of my worst. Huge snow and one of the coldest 7 day stretches in over 20 years sandwiched in between a very warm December February and now possibly march. Oh and I forgot the deadly tornado outbreak in late December!

Yeah let's forget the fact it just snowed a foot in a winter here 2 years ago or February 2021 🤣

We've had years like this stretch before

I can’t read the article because it seems to be paywalled, but there’s always some truth and untruth to these things. While it’s true that snowfall has gone down for many of us, it’s not nearly as much as people’s perception tends to imply. For example, a lot of people seem to be under the impression that White Christmases were commonplace in years past, when the reality is that they’ve never been common for almost anyone in the Mid-Atlantic or Southeast. Sure, they may occur less than they used to, but were likely talking about a 10-20% reduction, which doesn’t align with a lot of people’s perceptions. The problem is you remember one or two White Christmases from your childhood and think every Christmas was like that, when it wasn’t. And you can apply that faulty perception to winters in general, not just Christmases.

From RAH on Facebook.

This was a disappointing winter across the Triangle if you like snow. It was the first meteorological winter (which runs from December through February) since records began in 1887 that Raleigh-Durham Airport had zero snow, not even a trace. There have been 12 other winters with no measurable snow, but they still had a trace. In addition, this was Raleigh's 5th-warmest winter since records began in 1887.

Back