• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

We got over 2 minutes of totality in August 2017 here. It was pretty cool although I feel some people overate it. First off it’s not pitch black. It’s dark as if 10 minutes before the sun comes up over the horizon type thing. Still very cool in the middle of the afternoon seeing stars and stuff when a few seconds before the sun was out.
I don't know how you could witness totality and think any description of it (aside from "pitch black") is overrated. It is a magnificent event, and I encourage everyone I know to travel to witness it. Some people say "oh it was 97% at my house" and not going to lie, eclipses are neat even at much lower percentages, but even 97% is practically nothing compared to totality.
If you are on the fence about traveling to see it, go! There won't be another CONUS total eclipse for 21 years.

I don't know how you could witness totality and think any description of it (aside from "pitch black") is overrated. It is a magnificent event, and I encourage everyone I know to travel to witness it. Some people say "oh it was 97% at my house" and not going to lie, eclipses are neat even at much lower percentages, but even 97% is practically nothing compared to totality.
If you are on the fence about traveling to see it, go! There won't be another CONUS total eclipse for 21 years.
So crazy that anyone would make that comment about a total solar eclipse. There are people that will spend thousands of dollars to travel thousands of miles just to see even a 2 minute total eclipse.

Yeah everyone I know who went in 2017 had no regrets

Tennessee's weather is much more interesting than North Carolina's and yet somehow this forum has like 10 times more posters from NC. Go figure.

Anyone traveling to the eclipse on April 8?

I've been planning the trip to my backyard for the past several weeks. For full disclosure, knowing Dallas would be in the path of totality for 2024 did factor at least a tiny bit in my decision to move here. I already ordered my glasses, although I'll probably get some more just in case.

I intend to fly my mom down for it too.

I was in Nasvhille for 2017. Unfortunately, while it was predominately Sunny that day, my specific location was one of the unlucky places to end up under a cumulus cloud during totality. You could hear an audible "Awww" from everyone on the other hotel rooftops downtown.

I've been planning the trip to my backyard for the past several weeks. For full disclosure, knowing Dallas would be in the path of totality for 2024 did factor at least a tiny bit in my decision to move here. I already ordered my glasses, although I'll probably get some more just in case.

I intend to fly my mom down for it too.

I was in Nasvhille for 2017. Unfortunately, while it was predominately Sunny that day, my specific location was one of the unlucky places to end up under a cumulus cloud during totality. You could hear an audible "Awww" from everyone on the other hotel rooftops downtown.
Dang… that sucks what happened for you in 2017. I was in the NC mountains near Brevard for it and woke up to some fairly thick debris clouds from storms the night before. Fortunately they cleared up in plenty of time. We’re going to go up to Niagara Falls for this one… neither my wife or I have ever been there so we’re gonna kill two birds with one stone. Wishing you Crystal clear blue skies on 4/8

Dang… that sucks what happened for you in 2017. I was in the NC mountains near Brevard for it and woke up to some fairly thick debris clouds from storms the night before. Fortunately they cleared up in plenty of time. We’re going to go up to Niagara Falls for this one… neither my wife or I have ever been there so we’re gonna kill two birds with one stone. Wishing you Crystal clear blue skies on 4/8

Ha if we only had the pattern showing up right now in 6 weeks... Not even a chance of rain in the next 10 days

Back