• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

Is this the worst winter you guys have ever experienced in terms of what could’ve been and letdowns? Also I’m gonna need @Webberweather53 ’s final take on winter and what went wrong.

Is this the worst winter you guys have ever experienced in terms of what could’ve been and letdowns? Also I’m gonna need @Webberweather53 ’s final take on winter and what went wrong.
Personally I would say yes. Last year, you could look at things the week after Christmas at what was happening with the Pacific Jet with a La Niña and you could tell that most likely things just weren’t going to reverse. This year though, we’ve seen so many instances, this upcoming weekend included, where it would have only taken a couple tweaks to not only score but also end up with a huge storm.

I don't remember what my expectations were for the 2011-2012 season but I can guarantee it wasn't for never getting below 20 and never seeing a single flake. At least this year I got to see 4 mornings below 20 but that doesn't really make a big difference in my winter impression. The fact that I saw flurries 3 times last year doesn't really make it better than this year. They were all 3 some of the worst winters I have ever experienced (along with one of those in the early 90s).

My expectations every year pretty much align with climo for my backyard; a couple of legitimate cold periods where I see below 20 with a shot at upper single digits a couple of nights per year and a few days with highs in the 30s. Two smallish to med sized accumulating events that provide my average of about 5 inches per year with a couple other trace events or close calls. I never "expect" to be completely blanked, anymore than I expect a foot of snow. Unfortunately; we are in a period where getting blanked is becoming regular and I haven't seen a foot in 30 years. Prior to that it was far more likely to see a foot than it was to get blanked.

I have already tempered my expectations a LOT from yesteryear, but I guess I will have to come to terms that my above expectations (already adjusted) are going to have to be lowered more. I guess I should no longer expect snow of any kind on a yearly basis and just hold out some hope for one shot a year. It seems like the upstate went from what was climo for us to where CAE was a couple of decades ago, in the course of a few short years, and I'll just have to learn to be ok with it. I mean, when even AVL hasn't had a dusting in 2 years there isn't much to say. I hate the dominate pattern of constant western troughs and cold European dumps and blocks, but there is absolutely nothing I can do about it and nature doesn't have a concept of fairness. If I want yearly snow I'll have to move above 3000 ft or farther North. I am sad to see that snow is becoming a thing of the past where I live, but it's where we are. I'm sure we'll see snow again but it seems it is going to be irregular and probably minor going forward. 😥

As far as let downs? No not even close

2nd place would be I think 2021? When we were waiting for the PV to slide east to start a great pattern, it looked like it was, we were all set, then 💥 smacked in the mouth. I think it was Icon run that showed it staying out west, and everything fell in line behind it.

This is the first time though where everything, backgroundstate, telleconnections, enso, pacific, Atlantic, everything was lined up, and still was a spectacular fail. I'm broken honestly. I don't know what's real anymore.

Got co-workers in MSP...they said ground is bare. Last year that hey had over 80"...this year he said his house has 8".

Unless you live in northern-VA you suck just as bad as we do.

View attachment 146557
So sad that most of these totals on this map have seen more snow in a bad year than I've seen since probably 2010 combined. Too bad so sad

So sad they have seen more snow in a bad year than I've seen since probably 2010 combined. Too bad so sad
actually, they aren't complaining...they would rather be golfing. They have inverse relationship to snow than us.

Reactions: SD
Back