• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

i take pains to be a well behaved northern latitude guy. i remember growing up in wilmington and reading these forums and knowing the only way i was scoring is if everyone was like "gah too suppressed". distinctly remember shutting my laptop once bc big frosty was ecstatic at a run and thats when i knew i was toast
I can remember my first winter in Davidson after growing up really close to 85 in Gaston County. Man it felt like I'd finally made it. From then on out, I determined I would always live at the most advantageous latitude I could wherever I ended up. Just so happens, Northern Durham county reminds me alot of home so we settled here.

What a crappy "winter" this turned out to be. This has been 2011-2012 bad. I put it below last year since I at least had 3 traces of snow and a cold Christmas week.

What a crappy "winter" this turned out to be. This has been 2011-2012 bad. I put it below last year since I at least had 3 traces of snow and a cold Christmas week.
2012 was a banner year...we got 1" from this event...that winter will be the gold standard moving forward.

february_19_2012_nc_snowmap.gif

I also want to apologize to GaWx....he was steadfast that the PNA/EPO was a far bigger variable on our snow than the AO/NAO. Clearly he was right...I was wrong. Maybe pre-1990 the AO/NAO was bigger but now its all about the PNA/EPO..

When was the last time we had a true west based -nao
Exactly. It’s more clear to me than ever that a functioning west-based -NAO is the most important because we haven’t had one in 13 years now. My RDU 6” analogs clearly show what a functioning one does to the pattern. We just don’t get them anymore.

Back