• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

I don't think going two winters without wintery weather for any persons backyard is that that uncommon, but what makes this stretch so unbearable is that it has happened for a massive geographical area in the Southeast, with hardly any credible threats during that timeframe, for anyone!

Atlanta/August/GSP/Columbia/Charleston/Myrtle Beach/Charlotte/Raleigh/Greenville,NC all blanked for two consecutive years.

I think even the NC foothills have more/less been blanked as well.
Tennessee did get a pretty massive / historic storm and a great week of wintry weather, though.

I told it it is early February and we haven’t had any snow yet, and it said:

I asked it again today and said we still haven’t seen any snow yet, and now it’s suggesting to just “Enjoy Winter Regardless” of whether it snows. ?

If it's now mid-February and Durham, NC, still hasn't seen any snow, there are a few considerations to keep in mind:

1. **Weather Variability:** Winter weather can be highly variable, and snowfall predictions are subject to change based on shifting weather patterns. The absence of snow by mid-February, even with forecasts suggesting a higher likelihood due to conditions like a strong El Niño, highlights the unpredictable nature of weather.

2. **Late Season Snow:** It's not uncommon for regions that experience mild winters to receive snow later in the season. While the most likely periods for snow in Durham based on historical El Niño patterns have been identified as late January through February【6†source】【7†source】, snow can still occur in March. In fact, late season snowfalls have happened in the past, and the weather forecast from The Old Farmer's Almanac for March includes periods of rain and mild weather, which could potentially turn to snow if temperatures drop enough【7†source】.

3. **Climate Trends:** The broader trend of climate variability can also impact seasonal weather patterns, making certain weather events more or less likely. For example, warmer overall temperatures may reduce the frequency and intensity of snowfall in areas that historically received more.

4. **Staying Informed:** It's important to stay updated with local weather forecasts as they can provide the most current information. Meteorologists continually update forecasts based on the latest data, and a snow event could still be forecasted in the coming weeks.

5. **Enjoying Winter Regardless:** Whether or not snow falls, there are many ways to enjoy the winter season, from outdoor activities suited to cold weather to cozy indoor pursuits.

In summary, the lack of snow by mid-February, despite forecasts suggesting otherwise, is a reminder of the unpredictable nature of weather. It's always possible for conditions to change, and staying informed through local weather services is the best way to know what to expect as the season progresses.

I hope I’m done with snow! I’m ready for spring

I mean even this storm here tonight... Don't get me wrong it could still be good for somebody and it'll probably be decent here but this would have been downright historic if we just had cold air... That's how I feel about this whole winter nothing has reached its full potential

We've had one low below 30 the entire month in February our peak snow month

What's wrong about it?
cleveland cavaliers love GIF by NBPA

Tennessee did get a pretty massive / historic storm and a great week of wintry weather, though.

You’d think if this was related to climate change we would also being seeing more massive KU type events along the east coast from time to time, even if we were missing out them. But those seemed to have vanished as well. Can’t even get a 40 degree rain/coastal bomb for I-95 anymore.

I specifically remember Greg Fishel talking about how it is harder to get snow in the Triangle because of our proximity to the ocean and the air being warmer coming off the ocean. It only makes sense then if the ocean is getting warmer and warmer then it will be even harder to get snow here.

I specifically remember Greg Fishel talking about how it is harder to get snow in the Triangle because of our proximity to the ocean and the air being warmer coming off the ocean. It only makes sense then if the ocean is getting warmer and warmer then it will be even harder to get snow here.
How many times in last two seasons have you had a major storm and been a degree or two too warm for snow? I’m pretty sure it’s zero times. Any other theories?

In fact, iirc, your last storm in January 2022 you could have used some more warmth/juice with that one as it was plenty cold by lacking on moisture. So maybe we need a warmer ocean?

Back