• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

Week 4 on the GEFS ext looks great...first week of March will give us some more chances.

gfs-ensemble-extended-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_7day-9769600.png

Actually it's even rare down there to go 10 years with 2 inches. You won't find that anywhere else in records. Wasn't the 8 year drought that was broken in 22 the longest? There was a 5 year drought in the mid to late 70s there that ended with the Feb 1979 storm. There was also a tough time from 2004-2010. But nothing like the last 10 years have been. It's been a really awful time for snow lovers anywhere in the Carolina's outside the mtns
I was born in '73 (actually, a week before the bonanza Southeastern snowstorm), and I recall some fun storms in '78 (mainly ice), '79, and two in '80 (storms about 3 1/2 weeks apart - early February and March 1st-2nd storm). We had storms in '82, '83 (late March), and then a bit of a lull as nothing transpired in '84 other than a brief flurry/light snow in '85. Nothing in '86, unfortunately. We had an ice storm in early January of '87 if my mind serves me well. A January snowstorm storm in '87 where we picked up about 2" and another one a few weeks later with light snow for about an hour or two with only grassy accumulations.

We also had snow in April of '87 where it snowed for a couple of hours with no accumulations. Just by it being April made it exciting, although there wasn't much to write home about. The following year was the January '88 thriller.

We barely missed out on the Christmas '89 snowstorm that walloped the eastern and coastal areas of SC and NC. We had a few hours of sleet, freezing rain, and very little snow with that one.

The late 70's and 80's were some good times.

Last edited:
The snow was spectacular last night up on Cat. Unfortunately the slush will commence the next few days.

I appreciate everyone's long range breakdowns on potentials, but what I take to the bank is warmer then initially modeled days early next week. Hopefully we do indeed get colder the second half of the month.

If this-

A) Is still here Monday
B) GFS keeps being passed around like a football on Carolina Beach by the EURO/CMC
C) Starts showing Cadillac runs soon

I don’t wanna hear anything from about 5 of you on here. Crying every model run or trolling, You will be seen as the people that leave a Ballgame at halftime bc your team is down so you go get drunk in the parking lot and try to Get back in when they cut the lead to 7 with 4 to play. Nah, don’t be like that …. No UNC , Lakers, Yankees fans now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to have a Brad P obsession thread but it got locked :(

I had to look up Brad Panovich since you are talking about him regularly. It seems that most folks in the Charlotte area think he is a really good met.

Brad Panovich grew up in Northeast Ohio so i'm sure he isn't impressed with the little snow events the southeast gets. He probably laughs at people getting worked up over an inch or two.

Is this your way of telling me you’re worried about suppression? ?View attachment 145888
That cmc run you posted is 50% chance everything shears ots 50% chance you get a phase and someone loses their ruler in the snow.
This is appetizing but it's sweaty until go time
gem_z500_vort_us_38.png

Can we at least use our snow shovels on the pollen?

We out here tracking snow and Brad tracking pollen counts. ?‍♂️

Screen Shot 2024-02-09 at 12.51.27 PM.png

I don’t think I can watch another storm go south and be so weak again. Where are the juiced up storms at when you need them?

Back