• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

Truly is wild that we can't even manage a Winter weather advisory. I mean, we can't even work a Winter weather threat into the medium range these days. I do hope something delivers for the back half of February into early March.. Because if it doesn't, the energy going into next Winter will be unbearable.

Truly is wild that we can't even manage a Winter weather advisory. I mean, we can't even work a Winter weather threat into the medium range these days. I do hope something delivers for the back half of February into early March.. Because if it doesn't, the energy going into next Winter will be unbearable.
They'll just be less and less interest in tracking winter here Mitch that's all. Folks will just become discouraged. It's already far different than it was a few short years ago. Of course that could also be related to individual mets creating and hosting/posting their own content as alluded to by some here last month. Not like the old days for sure.

edit: btw I appreciate your podcasts and that you also jump in here for conversation. It's been a long winter for sure my friend

Last edited:
They'll just be less and less interest in tracking winter here Mitch that's all. Folks will just become discouraged. It's already far different than it was a few short years ago. Of course that could also be related to individual mets creating and hosting/posting their own content as alluded to by some here last month. Not like the old days for sure.
It is true. It just makes it tough to enjoy the risk & chances without someone commenting "NOT HAPPENING" 538 times. But I get the frustration. It think it's just more wild to me that places like GSP, Asheville, Charlotte.. Heck even Atlanta, Greensboro, Raleigh & surrounding areas haven't sniffed Winter weather in like a Winter & a half. Can't even buy a Winter weather advisory. I understand we need a minor miracle down here in the Midlands. I mean we haven't seen more than 2-3 inches of snow in just about a decade. (most of that coming in the January 22 event) so it's not as shocking down here, but for everyone else in those areas... Holy smokes..

I will never understand why we let the GFS drive the mood around here.
Yea I mean could it be right ? Yea .... but It was the first to latch and last to go even on last weeks "storm" EURO has changes but rarely do you see the drastic differences. If EURO shows the same issues at 2 today sure

Well, if we are being completely honest, lately when a model starts throwing out "Warmer scenario warnings" often times it's shift in the wrong direction, even if it is the GFS. That's what drives the mood.

Well, if we are being completely honest, lately when a model starts throwing out "Warmer scenario warnings" often times it's shift in the wrong direction, even if it is the GFS. That's what drives the mood.
This is true, but a "trend" is more to be worrysome than one run even in ensembles imo. I condsider a "trend 4 straight runs of same thing" good or bad. Dont buy a "trend" either way unless its 24hrs of runs jmo though

As I said before, I'm heading to Disney World the last week in February. Family is really looking forward to it, but I just know that's when RDU will get a snow. I'm almost hoping nothing will occur but would also like to see the snow drought broke; and of course, I would be happy for all that get snow.
You are most likely not going to have worry about that. I would be pumped about Disney, we took the kids last fall and was great.

In the same vein, I haven't figured out why it's the one that gets posted 95% of the time, when the EURO usually takes it to school the majority of the time.

It is true. It just makes it tough to enjoy the risk & chances without someone commenting "NOT HAPPENING" 538 times. But I get the frustration. It think it's just more wild to me that places like GSP, Asheville, Charlotte.. Heck even Atlanta, Greensboro, Raleigh & surrounding areas haven't sniffed Winter weather in like a Winter & a half. Can't even buy a Winter weather advisory. I understand we need a minor miracle down here in the Midlands. I mean we haven't seen more than 2-3 inches of snow in just about a decade. (most of that coming in the January 22 event) so it's not as shocking down here, but for everyone else in those areas... Holy smokes..
Actually it's even rare down there to go 10 years with 2 inches. You won't find that anywhere else in records. Wasn't the 8 year drought that was broken in 22 the longest? There was a 5 year drought in the mid to late 70s there that ended with the Feb 1979 storm. There was also a tough time from 2004-2010. But nothing like the last 10 years have been. It's been a really awful time for snow lovers anywhere in the Carolina's outside the mtns

Our streak of AN Feb's is getting absurd. 2021 was slight BN but the rest have been brutal. 2015 was our last solid BN Feb.

And with this Feb through mid month looking AN it's going to be close to whether it finishes at neutral or not.

cd107.15.181.206.39.7.46.19.prcp.pngcd107.15.181.206.39.7.45.17.prcp.png

Our streak of AN Feb's is getting absurd. 2021 was slight BN but the rest have been brutal. 2015 was our last solid BN Feb.

And with this Feb through mid month looking AN it's going to be close to whether it finishes at neutral or not.

View attachment 145859View attachment 145860
Just like Decembers. Except they have been trash since 2010. Almost like Jan is all we have anymore that feels like true winter.

View attachment 145859View attachment 145860
I think December's have been even worse than February in terms of AN temps.

Our Big city slicker I-95 Friends up North are gonna commence to crying after seeing the ICON in 5....4....3....2....1. Completely Blanks all the Big Citys except Boston.

Last edited:
Back