• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

how earnest is this, i'm having trouble because i realize not everyone is in on how bare bones a lot of these stations are operated
My guess is, other than an intern here and there, they are basically solo when they are on shift (actual forecast wise). I mean just from my wannabe pov, when there is a severe threat and they are on the air for an extended period of time, they usually bring in another one of the tv mets from a different shift. Doesn't seem like an army of people to me

That's really sad. So many people have jobs that they hate and that is no way to live. I'd rather be dead than have to go to a job that I hate every day.
You're so dramatic lol. I actually like being above ground and being able to pay my bills, so yes I'm sick of it but thinks for reminding me it beats the alternative.

My guess is, other than an intern here and there, they are basically solo when they are on shift (actual forecast wise). I mean just from my wannabe pov, when there is a severe threat and they are on the air for an extended period of time, they usually bring in another one of the tv mets from a different shift. Doesn't seem like an army of people to me
basically this. when i was in broadcast and worked weekends i would roll in around 2:45, have three hours to prepare basically. for a higher share of forecasts than you think, especially in summer when the pattern is stagnant, you can lean on the forecast you are inheriting from the previous shift. you could make a few tweaks here and there by looking at trends and comparing mos guidance and reading the afd and conjure a usable forecast pretty easily

the only times i had help was my first weekend. my last weekend was the dec 2018 storm and i was on the phone with my chief discussing my forecast (i had higher totals than nws/competitors) but he didn't come in. for occasional severe (not a big severe market, west virginia) i would generally man solo. for the majority of mets it is a solo operation, especially on weekends

wha'happin?
Ha ha... From the message we got every time we tried to load the site:

"Contact your hosting provider letting them know your web server is not completing requests. An Error 522 means that the request was able to connect to your web server, but that the request didn't finish. The most likely cause is that something on your server is hogging resources."

Back