• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

We need some kind of smartest reward system round here...

I'm definitely no where remotely close to the smartest here on the topic of weather and try my best to remember the famous Twain quote,
'It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt'

At 2300 here near Asheville and the daffodils and black elderberries in my yard have sprouted. In my experience here, when they do, it essentially marks the end of winter. The daffodils alone sprouted in mid January last year. I can still score a dusting or even a small couple inch event but the fat lady has not only sung on this winter, but she's left the building and is at the airport getting ready for next year. Second straight year of nothing more than a dusting is very much in play right now. That said, I do believe over 3000 and 4000 have quite a bit more winter to go.

in defense of brad

guy wakes up, manages kids/family in the morning, heads to work, has a full weather team to manage and check on, gets a little time to digest the forecast he's inheriting from the morning/noon met, checks email (it's 1/3rd corporate flotsam, 1/3 complaints, 1/3 principals asking him to come to their school) then has to deal with a news director and producers writing the shows bugging him like "can we write 'snowy end to winter???' as a tease?" for him to begrudgingly shoot down, he trudges to the booth to shoot radio hits for 30 minutes, gets 15 minutes to actually forecast before putting a tie/makeup on to go on air, does 1 or 2 hours of shows (idk his schedule i bet it kind of intertwines like maze/kat at wral), does other ancillary tasks; does mini forecasts for sponsors/affiliates, gets maybe an hour off for dinner with friends or family, gets back and is finally able to sit down and breathe and marinate with things and sees nerds on twitter (X???) are trashing him, calling him conservative, calling him washed for saying that it probably won't snow in the carolinas despite a decent pattern showing up in the ensembles (which is a bet that has hit 90% of the time the last three years just so we're clear). he knows not to get too worked up... the 10 pm show comes quicker than you think and you need to make some adjustments to put together a compelling tv product

i'm not saying he's right but i don't blame him for digging in

in defense of brad

guy wakes up, manages kids/family in the morning, heads to work, has a full weather team to manage and check on, gets a little time to digest the forecast he's inheriting from the morning/noon met, checks email (it's 1/3rd corporate flotsam, 1/3 complaints, 1/3 principals asking him to come to their school) then has to deal with a news director and producers writing the shows bugging him like "can we write 'snowy end to winter???' as a tease?" for him to begrudgingly shoot down, he trudges to the booth to shoot radio hits for 30 minutes, gets 15 minutes to actually forecast before putting a tie/makeup on to go on air, does 1 or 2 hours of shows (idk his schedule i bet it kind of intertwines like maze/kat at wral), does other ancillary tasks; does mini forecasts for sponsors/affiliates, gets maybe an hour off for dinner with friends or family, gets back and is finally able to sit down and breathe and marinate with things and sees nerds on twitter (X???) are trashing him, calling him conservative, calling him washed for saying that it probably won't snow in the carolinas despite a decent pattern showing up in the ensembles (which is a bet that has hit 90% of the time the last three years just so we're clear). he knows not to get too worked up... the 10 pm show comes quicker than you think and you need to make some adjustments to put together a compelling tv product

i'm not saying he's right but i don't blame him for digging in
As someone who was in his market for the majority of his time there, he just isnt a long range guy(I mean most tv mets arent). However, dude is an *excellent* short and mid range forecaster. I have no doubt his severe weather abilities have saved countless lives, like James Spann. However, neither of those two are who I would necessarily look to with a longer range winter pattern. I think Allan, DT, Webb etc. are guys to look for in that regard.

Different horses, different courses basically.

As someone who was in his market for the majority of his time there, he just isnt a long range guy(I mean most tv mets arent). However, dude is an *excellent* short and mid range forecaster. I have no doubt his severe weather abilities have saved countless lives, like James Spann. However, neither of those two are who I would necessarily look to with a longer range winter pattern. I think Allan, DT, Webb etc. are guys to look for in that regard.

Is anyone really good at forecasting long range winter patterns ? Doesn't seem like it to me.

most tv guys aren't, you're right, and most aren't reading places like these either. most don't have the bandwidth

this was mainly a counter to him being public enemy #1 amongst certain slices of the carolina wx community

most tv guys aren't, you're right, and most aren't reading places like these either. most don't have the bandwidth

this was mainly a counter to him being public enemy #1 amongst certain slices of the carolina wx community
Ross am I wrong for assuming on-air guys have an “army” of computer screen guys backing them up and steering them in the right direction?

Hypesters, right? The people who bring data and discussion are all hypesters.
A good many of the ensembles show a similar progression and outcome as the GFS. I can't see the EPS members so I don't know what the "camps" are on that one. I'm saying a lot of people are saying things such as, "I really like what the CMCE is doing in the long range" and "this model has the TPV where I want it" like it's a buffet that they can pick from to make their dream meal.

It's wish-casting. If you bring the data, bring ALL the data.

They will come back eventually likely with some changes and maybe some access to a few different things like a giphy extension on the post. To get all of that to work we had to reset everyone. Also we are likely to have to run another fundraiser in the near future for...reasons
Well, you know I'll support again...Wen models?

Back