• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

I'm related to one of the first mountain men explorers as they used to call them that reached the Rocky mountains. Places in Montana named after him, but nothing beats being related to Tom Hanks. ?
That’s awsome man

Johnny Depp is my ninth cousin through the "Stout" surname, the Dutch heritage that is he as listed as having is the side of the family that we are related on. I'm also related distantly to President James Madison, virtually everyone residing in our country has famous relatives that they can at least claim an ascertainable degree of kinship with.
That’s pretty awsome there

GUIS. IS THERE ANY CHANCE THIS SYSTEM WILL SURPRISE SOMEONE?

zzza.PNG

From 1999-2004 I had 3 double digit winters out of 4 (75%) and none since. Things don't work like they used to

You should ask the outside of the SE thread
So you use a 5 year span to try to prove a point? I used 130 years of records. Instead of taking these stupid little shots at people why don't you try to offer a little evidence to support your obvious claim that nothing is different and snowfall averages haven't fallen? I'm sure if you pull up RDU you'll see the same downward trend. Now if you want say 130 years of records isn't enough to prove what's normal or not normal then fine. That's fair enough. But most on here are referring to the weather they know and there is no denying the trend lately. Why is that so hard to acknowledge and why does saying it offend so many people?
20240204_082656.png

So you use a 5 year span to try to prove a point? I used 130 years of records. Instead of taking these stupid little shots at people why don't you try to offer a little evidence to support your obvious claim that nothing is different and snowfall averages haven't fallen? I'm sure if you pull up RDU you'll see the same downward trend. Now if you want say 130 years of records isn't enough to prove what's normal or not normal then fine. That's fair enough. But most on here are referring to the weather they know and there is no denying the trend lately. Why is that so hard to acknowledge and why does saying it offend so many people?
View attachment 145082
I've brought plenty of evidence but you missed it. You don't have to convince me that it's snowing less and its warmer the data says so. For my local area though the 2000s and 2010s were better than the 90s and there are 5 year subsets within the last 25 years that are as good or better than a long term average.

I also provided evidence that I think there may be evidence the +AMO may link to our BN snow but I think you missed that too.

My frustration with the your post tied into the fact that yesterday people were using cherry picked data points to make a point and not being honest with it. That's frustrating

Last edited:
I've brought plenty of evidence but you missed it. You don't have to convince me that it's snowing less and its warmer the data says so but for our local area the 2000s and 2010s were better than the 90s and there are 5 year subsets within the last 25 years that are as good or better than a long term average.

I also provided evidence that I think there may be evidence the +AMO may link to our BN snow but I think you missed that too.

My frustration with the your post lied in the fact that yesterday people are using data to support points and not be 100% truthful. We can all cherry pick data points to make our point
I didn't miss it. I tend to agree about the +AMO to some extent. The 90s sucked yes, and the 2000s and 2010s were better, and a few years here and there beat the longterm averages sure. But what's clear to me is the lack of big winters that were so common for the 1st 100 years of record keeping. You can see in the graph how common they were even during the last +AMO during the 1930 thru the 60s. The last 20 or 30 years depending on where you are they stopped. I don't think I tired to push any narrative by pointing that out. Either way I'm sorry for firing back with a little hostility.

I didn't miss it. I tend to agree about the +AMO to some extent. The 90s sucked yes, and the 2000s and 2010s were better, and a few years here and there beat the longterm averages sure. But what's clear to me is the lack of big winters that were so common for the 1st 100 years of record keeping. You can see in the graph how common they were even during the last +AMO during the 1930 thru the 60s. The last 20 or 30 years depending on where you are they stopped. I don't think I tired to push any narrative by pointing that out. Either way I'm sorry for firing back with a little hostility.
All good. My post was more frustration with things here as a whole lately not at you directly. I agree with you I think what's missing more than anything the last 2 decades is the big 15-20 inch season. When you look at the graphs for both CLT and RDU that's what's missing the most just eyeballing it. If you had added a say 18-20 inch year to the 2010s at either site it pumps the decadal average and I doubt there's as much complaining.

Just looking back historically there were duds in every decade and a lot of times the duds went back to back or we went dud ok year dud so the last few years don't bother me as much as it does some i guess.

Im going to look more into the AMO stuff time permitting this week. I had a hard time drawing a great linear correlation the other day so maybe it's not the issue

Certainly nothing to be bitter about in todays' runs so far. We don't have details but lots and lots lining up in the proper lanes for something in/around President's Day.

Back