• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

I do agree with the ones saying there is more to life than snow. That is absolutely true and if you get so depressed you can't function because it won't snow you may need to find other hobbies or seek help.

Now, on the flip side snow is special in the Carolina's. It always has been. Even in the 60s, 70s and 80s when we got plenty to satisfy our craving, it was still rare enough to be special. So many childhood memories in the snow.

That special snow that we grew to love as kids is slowly but surely becoming a memory. And that is sad. I don't care if you deny it, let the clown reactions fly or whatever, the truth is it doesn't snow here like it used to. The facts are the facts. We agree the 1930 thru about 1960 was a warmer and less snowy cycle. But in that 30 year cycle there were 6 double digit seasons here. Might as well say 7 since on was 9.9 inches. That's about one every 5 years or so. It's been 31 years now since the last one. And CLT and RDU are pushing 20 years now. Spin it how you will but even those so called bad decades were way better than this.
Agree with almost ? of this post,
Except for the no Double Digits snows in the last 30 years.
I'm pretty sure that I got 10 inches here twice in that time
21 & in 14.
Maybe more.
I could be wrong Bc my memory is beginning to fail.
You and I aren't that far apart.
I thought Inman has done pretty well in that time span barring the last 5 years.
But your right it doesn't show as often as it once did.
It sucks.

Agree with almost ? of this post,
Except for the no Double Digits snows in the last 30 years.
I'm pretty sure that I got 10 inches here twice in that time
21 & in 14.
Maybe more.
I could be wrong Bc my memory is beginning to fail.
You and I aren't that far apart.
I thought Inman has done pretty well in that time span barring the last 5 years.
But your right it doesn't show as often as it once did.
It sucks.
You may have in 2014. There was someone in Inman that reported 12 inches in Dec 2018. I was 4 miles from my current location then in Boiling Springs and had 6 inches. But 12 inch lollipops I'm sure happen. But officially at the airport the last double digit year was 92-93. 0.4 in Jan and 9.8 from the March super storm. Before that the airport used to spit them out like tic tacs but they've vanished now

We still have one window in my view left. Roughly the last 2 weeks of this month or at best a highly anomalous snowfall in March--Not talking about a passing car topper but accumulating snow

You may have in 2014. There was someone in Inman that reported 12 inches in Dec 2018. I was 4 miles from my current location then in Boiling Springs and had 6 inches. But 12 inch lollipops I'm sure happen. But officially at the airport the last double digit year was 92-93. 0.4 in Jan and 9.8 from the March super storm. Before that the airport used to spit them out like tic tacs but they've vanished now
Also @Billypg70 records back to 1892-93. So GSP had 26 double digit years in the 100 years from 1892-93 to 1992-93, and several others that just missed it by a few 10ths. So about 25% of winters were double digits and now none in 31 years. But nothing has changed. It's all in our heads ???

Ok 26% to be exact of the 1st 100 years. 25, 26 does it really matter? All I know is that number is 0% for the last 31 years

Last edited:
Also @Billypg70 records back to 1892-93. So GSP had 26 double digit years in the 100 years from 1892-93 to 1992-93, and several others that just missed it by a few 10ths. So about 25% of winters were double digits and now none in 31 years. But nothing has changed. It's all in our heads ???
You have to forgive bc I had C19 when we had the snow in 21,
I was admitted to the hospital a few days later but,
I'm sure I measured 10 inches on my deck & car.
I didn't get to enjoy it bc of C19 but it was a very good snow.
I get your point and overall agree.
I know prior to 18 I was hearing everyone South of 85 complaining.
I chalked it up to elevation & just bad luck.
I no longer believe that.
In the history at GSP 2012 was the first snowless winter.
Last year was the 2nd (I did at least have flurries in late Dec for 20-30 mins).
This looks likely to be the first B2B snowless winter in the history of GSP.
I'm stunned & saddened.
You couldn't of convinced me in Nov this was going to happen,
Yet here we are !

Last year was the 2nd (I did at least have flurries in late Dec for 20-30 mins).
I'm stunned & saddened.
Yet here we are !
Not so fast my friend! We've still got plenty of time

I'm stunned & saddened.
Yet here we are !
I don't remember anything in 21 spectacular. I recorded 1.9 for the winter of 20-21 and the airport was close to the same. 0.4 in Jan and 1.5 in Feb. Jan 2022 is probably what you're thinking about. I had 6.6 for the winter. We still may avoid the shutout. But if not I wouldn't think many saw this coming. You think it can't happen, until it does

I don't remember anything in 21 spectacular. I recorded 1.9 for the winter of 20-21 and the airport was close to the same. 0.4 in Jan and 1.5 in Feb. Jan 2022 is probably what you're thinking about. I had 6.6 for the winter. We still may avoid the shutout. But if not I wouldn't think many saw this coming.
He probably did fairly well in the feb 6th, 2021 event. Definitely much better than the airport.

Ha! You know I haven't been there in 20 years since they always used to lie about their base, but I think since then they have been a lot better, not to mention the three high-speed detachable lifts. Have you seriously straight lined that run?? I only do volunteer at Cataloochee, and its only every third weekend.

Take some pics up there, its been a long time since I've seen it, and don't die!! You bring to much humor to this place.

Edit: I haven't been to Sugar specifically in 20 years, but I have been to Beech numerous times since then. I actually wish Hawksnext was still around. If you have the time to make the drive, I highly recommend Snowshoe. It really is a quality mountain for our region. Book it early in the season, and start the booking on a Sunday night, they do 20% off deals. You just have to watch the stupid resort fee they tack on, but its still a decent rate. Also, you can their midweek/Silvercreek pass for $300 early in the fall, or a two day midweek pass for $149.

I also get 11 comp lift tickets at Cataloochee, I doubt I'll use them all on friends. If I have not by the end of February, I'll let you know personally.
In my dreams I can straight line down whoopdeedoo! I’ve been going to sugar since the early 90’s and it’s always felt like home to me up there. The only thing that has really changed is the crowds.

No doubt let me know about the Cataloochee passes I’d take you up on that! The wife has been begging me to take her. That would be ? ??

Back