• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

Did you not get accumulating snow in March 2017 and 2018… I’m in southeastern Union County and got accumulating snowfalls both of those years. The two dustings in 2018 I thought was more up your way. I know the 4/2/2019 event I was just lucky enough to be in the very narrow stripe that really piled up in a hurry. Prior to 2017, the last time that I saw accumulating snow in March was back to back years in 2009 and 2010 when I was still living in Concord. I’m not saying it should be expected, what I’m saying is that it’s not that much less common now than it was 10 years ago.
Based on Webbs map, the March 2017 system was mostly south of I-40 and brought accumulating snow all the way down to the coast in Brunswick County. I know I got an inch or so in south Charlotte.

I don’t think it’s that much more difficult to get snow in March than it was 7 years ago. We’ve just been lacking the set ups to make it happen. Theres a tendency for people to say something doesn’t happen anymore just because they haven’t seen it lately. Looking back at history, there was never a time when we were consistently seeing snow in March year after year, which is why people always cherry pick 1960 and 1980 as wishcasting examples. The interesting and crazy part is the snows we have seen in March skew the means so much that March 2nd is considered Charlottes snowiest day of the year.

Did you not get accumulating snow in March 2017 and 2018… I’m in southeastern Union County and got accumulating snowfalls both of those years. The two dustings in 2018 I thought was more up your way. I know the 4/2/2019 event I was just lucky enough to be in the very narrow stripe that really piled up in a hurry. Prior to 2017, the last time that I saw accumulating snow in March was back to back years in 2009 and 2010 when I was still living in Concord. I’m not saying it should be expected, what I’m saying is that it’s not that much less common now than it was 10 years ago.

I remember vaguely a few minor events, again token flakes (back then I lived in CLT near UNCC). I went back through the NC database and found a couple of events that didn't have an official map, but report maps showing an inch or so around the CLT area. I agree it's certainly possible, but so is the Panthers getting to the playoffs next year. I'm not expecting it though.

Saying all that, I hope Webb and the Weeklies are right and we -NAO/-AO/-EPO into the deep freeze in 3 weeks to the end of March.

Based on Webbs map, the March 2017 system was mostly south of I-40 and brought accumulating snow all the way down to the coast in Brunswick County. I know I got an inch or so in south Charlotte.

I don’t think it’s that much more difficult to get snow in March than it was 7 years ago. We’ve just been lacking the set ups to make it happen. Theres a tendency for people to say something doesn’t happen anymore just because they haven’t seen it lately. Looking back at history, there was never a time when we were consistently seeing snow in March year after year, which is why people always cherry pick 1960 and 1980 as wishcasting examples. The interesting and crazy part is the snows we have seen in March skew the means so much that March 2nd is considered Charlottes snowiest day of the year.
Yeah looking back, CLT typically records at least a trace of snowfall in March once every 6 years or so and it appears it has a significant snowfall once every 15 years.

Yeah looking back, CLT typically records at least a trace of snowfall in March once every 6 years or so and it appears it has a significant snowfall once every 15 years.

See that to me just may as well take March off the table for a Winter Storm in the CLT area. But I'm not statistician.

I will say, March to me is profoundly capable of being annoying cold so that you have to bundle up, but not be cold enough to snow. That usually lasts the whole month. ?‍♂️

See that to me just may as well take March off the table for a Winter Storm in the CLT area. But I'm not statistician.

I will say, March to me is profoundly capable of being annoying cold so that you have to bundle up, but not be cold enough to snow. That usually lasts the whole month. ?‍♂️
I guess the best way to put it is that we should never go into a winter expecting to see snow in March, but we also shouldn’t dismiss the possibility or be surprised when it does. March has always been that month to me that you can expect wild temperature swings… like 2009… 6” of snow on the 1st and 2nd then highs in the 80s on the 6th.

Winters over! We’ve went full Icon mode!
That’s the kind of desperation that ends winter! Tomorrow we will bring out the Brazilian

Long shot, but if everything went our way (along the lines of what the Euro has been advertising for several runs now) we could have a prolonged window with multiple waves of opportunity. Stating this from a pattern recognition standpoint, not based on model output.

With these crazy blocks you could even see a retrograding of the wave train.....

This thing? ugh!
march_11-12_2017_nc_snowmap.png

Back