• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

I still can’t quite figure out where the end of this colder/stormier look is in the very long term (& ultimately “true” the beginning of spring).

Even out into early and even mid March, we still look to be stuck in this -NAO/eastern trough-type look.

The fact that we’ve seen a collapse of the +IOD, are approaching the time of the year where the MJO tends to be amplified/moves more slowly, & Indian Ocean phases (2-3) are actually conducive to eastern troughing, makes me think we’re really in it for the long haul once we get past this Pacific Jet extension.
b6330855-b520-4cfe-bdbe-f7492ffc85f9_text.gif

Changes are coming this hurricane season in regards to the warning cone.

Us weather nerds don't care about the NHC cone, anyway. This is just another way to make weather look way more influential than it actually is and promote the global climate change/man must die narrative.

This has got to be about the mildest map you'll ever see for Jan 25th; a bit ridiculous actually. Closer in I see current highs in both Carolinas is 79 and some 81s in GA.

View attachment 143355
This is honestly more impressive to me than the cold that gripped parts of the country recently. How in the world is it even possible to have 80s in the heart of winter ?

This is honestly more impressive to me than the cold that gripped parts of the country recently. How in the world is it even possible to have 80s in the heart of winter ?
Probably bc theres a 1030+ high near bermuda and the flow into the SE US is originating from about as deep in the Caribbean as you can get

AND there a little bit of a heat release from the Mexican plateau getting ingested into this too

To hit on @griteater post, the latest weeklies is one of the best runs yet. I know.. I know.. it's over a long period of time which isn't reliable. But that's a nice look down to I-20. Just get the feeling someone is going to get ice.
View attachment 143351
It seems like it’s really hard to get ice once we get past Valentines Day. The later in winter it is the more likely you are to get snow than ice.

There is lightning striking everywhere around my house right now. Guess we get our storms in January instead of April lol. ?

Changes are coming this hurricane season in regards to the warning cone.

It will continue the cha cha slide! I know they do their best but it sucks that we have progressed so far with tech but a forecast can’t be nailed down 48 hours out!

There is lightning striking everywhere around my house right now. Guess we get our storms in January instead of April lol. ?
We had a really bad lightning storm this past year. Worst one I've ever experienced. Within a 5 minute span, we had probably 10-12 simultaneous or nearly simultaneous flash-thunder combos. 3 of them sort of had an electric buzz before the main stroke. I've never heard that before. They were the closest strikes. I found one tree hit which was a football field away from my house. Another was about 2 football fields away, and I never found the 3rd, although I know it hit close. It was absolutely nuts!

My Grandma had a wood stove about ten years ago. My brother and I was about 18-20 years old, would take our pick-up-trucks into the woods and saw up some wood. load the truck and then haul it to her house. At that point the job is only half done. We had to split it by hand, stack it up next to the outside wall and then carried some into her house. That task pretty much took up a whole Saturday afternoon/evening. I know what you mean taking a break from the woodstove. I almost wanted to save my allowance just to give her so she can use her gas furnace.
Yea, I don't do it because I have to, I do it because I can. I didn't grow up heating with wood but had friends that supplemented with it, and I admired the self sufficiency of it. So I do it now as a way to stick it to the man. I do have EPA rated stoves that I picked because of low emissions. I cut all my own wood and split everything by hand still. I try to keep a 3 year supply so I am sure it is good and dry when it comes time to burn. EPA stoves hate wet wood. I figure as long as I keep doing it, I'll be able to keep doing it.

That said, it is a lot of work so like I said, this January thaw is welcome :)

I sense the sarcasm but you’re not wrong. That’s a boring spread but still leaves the window open I guess. So I think I’m ok with it. Maybe
It's come down a good 7-12 degrees from where it maxed out. Honestly in this look we I don't think we are going to get a massive arctic dump so seeing the means around 50 isn't that surprising to me when there are lingering warm members at 60-75

Back