• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm January 6th-10th #2

SD said:
Hrrr keeps me sucked in....if we can ever flip to snow might eek out 1-2

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Me too that and the NAM are determined I will pick up 4-6 today.... but I'm looking at the radar and it's drying up fast.  I say no way

Picked up 4" here in Tellico, Plains TN in SE TN

aa3531d0947f2c2948c3feac925032ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

If I lose power I will have to post final total later. About 400 just lost it in Wilkes alone once the winds picked up. Over ten thousand lost it from the ice around Charlotte to upstate SC according to Duke Energy map.

About 8 inches here in High Point, NC with light snow continuing.  I feel bad for all that busted.  I used to live in Sleetville, NC (Raleigh).

SnowE73 said:
About 8 inches here in High Point, NC with light snow continuing.  I feel bad for all that busted.  I used to live in Sleetville, NC (Raleigh).
Nice!! I'm hoping for good rates from that deformation band later when it pivots through... 3" so far

9261ede1cd224a859f99afb9103a67ec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Looks like because that deformation band didn't set up when expected, and the WAA kept up its fight, the snow totals were dramatically lower than foretasted, but I think on par with what we would have gotten here without the band. I do have to say that south of here, it was a major bust.

Precip busted low big time. My rain gauge showed around .25 inches of rain before it froze over and we had another .05 or so after. Total freezing rain accrual was about .15 a inch on trees. Then we had a dusting of sleet. So in my estimation only about .35 inches of liquid fell.

Just a glaze of ice and dusting here 35 miles NE ATL.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Well, it ended up busting pretty good here. The heavy snow band that was supposed to drop several inches somewhere along I-20/59 just didn't happen. We never completely made the changeover to all snow, but just for a few minutes at the beginning. I was def disappointed, but it was fun to track a winter storm in the new house. Here are some pictures of what we got. Very cold 19 here this morning.

Oh yeah, sure enough, it was fun to track. I just wish these models would do a better job at determining of what could happen. I'll be glad when that new weather model comes out. The models did do a decent job but they didn't do too well with placement of snow, track of low and the warm nose.

NorthGAWinterWx said:
Oh yeah, sure enough, it was fun to track. I just wish these models would do a better job at determining of what could happen. I'll be glad when that new weather model comes out. The models did do a decent job but they didn't do too well with placement of snow, track of low and the warm nose.

I think the issue wasn't just a warm nose, but also the lack of moisture in the DGZ. That layer was either to warm or because it was higher up lacked the moisture. I had snow at my house mixed with sleet, but it was the very fine type snow. That type is always associated with lack of moisture in the DGZ.

Back