• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

Looks like it's once again that time of the month week day I get personally attacked by snownut.
I think what bothers me is you speak from a place of knowledge. We do that in this society way too much these days and honestly, it doesnt matter the field. Social media has made all of us feel like we stand on equal ground with knowledge. We shout down the ones with the most education and the most knowledge while exalting those who are just loud.

I think what bothers me is you speak from a place of knowledge. We do that in this society way too much these days and honestly, it doesnt matter the field. Social media has made all of us feel like we stand on equal ground with knowledge. We shout down the ones with the most education and the most knowledge while exalting those who are just loud.
I agree but we also tend to almost deify some educated people and that leaves the other side feeling like they have to shout people down. It's good to question everything and everyone but it does need to come with a bit of self education beforehand. We need to be careful not to just accept as gospel those things that align with us which social media has brought about too. I wish I could go back to the 90s before all this crap. I'd still want weather boards but I miss learning stuff from mere hearsay and the library.

Climate change my Ass!! I guess you believe in global warming too

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

Don’t understand why people are so triggered by [mention]Webberweather53 [/mention] comments on climate change. It’s ok to learn from people who’ve made a career as an atmospheric science expert and have a robust understanding of historical climate data. Luckily he won’t be silenced and will continue to share his wisdom - even if his torch forecast brings me agony.

Global cooling!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree but we also tend to almost deify some educated people and that leaves the other side feeling like they have to shout people down. It's good to question everything and everyone but it does need to come with a bit of self education beforehand. We need to be careful not to just accept as gospel those things that align with us which social media has brought about too. I wish I could go back to the 90s before all this crap. I'd still want weather boards but I miss learning stuff from mere hearsay and the library.
I agree that educated people are not infallible. However, they should get more credence lent to what they say especially when it comes to their profession. My masters degree is in Library and Information science. I doubt, to pick on @Webberweather53 here, that he would sit here and lecture me about research methods and information literacy. I sure wouldn’t try and lecture him about meteorology or climatology.

To your point, it is absolutely critical that we do not let our biases affect the way we do research and look at the world. Do we all have biases? Absolutely. We’re all human. That’s the first thing I used to teach when I taught info lit courses. As humans, in general, we’re all looking for validation for how we feel. We also don’t want to be challenged on what we believe. That is what drives many people to find bad sources of information because hey, it doesn’t challenge how I feel about a subject. In information literacy, that’s confirmation bias. That goes for both sides of American society, unfortunately. People claim they “do their own research” but couldn’t tell you a primary source from a primary color.

Back