• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

From the Caribou, ME NWS:

The unusual combination of
very cold temperatures in the teens to 20s below zero and
strong winds will create wind chills rarely seen in northern
and eastern Maine as low as 45 to 65 below zero. Most stations
are forecast to see their lowest wind chills in decades or, in
some cases, the lowest ever recorded.

I did nothing for mine back in December other than make sure their water was not frozen. They fluff out their feathers and slow down egg production. One of them laid an egg, which promptly froze! They are not broody, so nobody was sitting on it. The water nipples froze closed so I had to give them a tray of water every day. They would peck at it to keep the water from freezing during the day. I tried to place a warmer next to the water tank but it still froze. Still getting between 4 and 12 eggs a day. I have about four dozen eggs right now that I need to preserve somehow.
Look up glassing eggs

I moved from TN to NC in 2005. I was occasionally shutout in annual snow totals where I lived, but I’ve never been shutout in the Triad since moving here. I’m afraid that this might be my first year. It’s been one cold rain after the next. Might as well warm up and start planning the garden.

I like the NBM. It keeps me from getting my hopes up over a rogue NAM or SREF snow output.

The groundhog predicted six more weeks of winter, but I don’t know how there can be “more” of something that hasn’t happened.
See the issue is y’all didn’t understand him. He meant that winter will start in six weeks from today when you will get a constant dose of 40s for the high for two months before the 90s.

heck yeah the groundhog predicted 6 more weeks of 36 degrees and rain around here
Thursday morning, officials at the Dauset Trails Nature Center announced the groundhog did not see his shadow - meaning we're going to have an early spring. Beau's ancestors began predicting seasons on Groundhog Day in 1981.

Thursday morning, officials at the Dauset Trails Nature Center announced the groundhog did not see his shadow - meaning we're going to have an early spring. Beau's ancestors began predicting seasons on Groundhog Day in 1981.
Fake news. Enjoy your snow in a few weeks ☃️

If it can snow deep into South TX it can snow in the FL panhandle.
Theoretically yes. The problem is the overwhelming pattern for the past decade has been for the trough to progress no further than the central US with the SER ever present, so the cold almost never makes it down this way; with Jan 2018 and Dec 22 being exceptions. I have no idea what it would take for us to start seeing more than just transitional troughs in the East again but it makes it very hard to have cold around long enough to get much frozen. TX to NW AL and TN have been the places to be in the South over the past decade, and few years especially.

Back