• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

Speaking of chickens did any of y'all know we had minks in the southeast? I had one take out 14 chickens the week I was out west. Nothing like coming back to 14 dead chickens that have been baking in 95 degree heat.

I spoke above about Chickens,, Yes, I have a *backyard Flock*..
13 Hens & One Rooster..

NO, I don't have a "Coop" per-se.. Just a garage type encloser, for them too Roost in & Lay Eggs..

Have 5 Cinnamon Queens & 9 Sapphire Jems..

I INVESTED in them Last May, seeing the forward thinking about.. (food Production & inflation Pricing)..

I lucked up & purchased them, (Chicks On Special) for .50 cents each.. They were & are, a great investment..

I get (roughly 9~too DZN eggs per Day.)

NO Problems with them, (here) in the Cold Weather, even last Dec.. Just make sure, they have (something) to get out of the weather.. AND DRY.. Just keep your water from icing over...

DO NOT use Hay or Straw, in they're coops! Hay & Straw promotes bad fungi that affect your chickens.. Wood chips ONLY.... Or just Stright DRY Sand.. Play sand is Ideal, or (saving on costs) I get My sand off the beach..

I let them "free range", in My back yard, about a 1/4th acre.. for bugs/insects etc..

ALSO, I have a deal with My local food Bank getting outta date Veggies/Lettuce and such, too cut on feed cost(s)..

I use 18.00 & change on feed per month, Scratch Grains.. per 50 pound bag..

RUMOR:
TSC, (Tractor Supply Co.),, has feed that are stopping your Hens from Laying eggs...
There's TRUTH... in that, as My Hens quit laying *Suddenly*, using that feed,, (Producers Pride & related Grains/Lables)..
(Nothing too do with light hours, or cold.. My hens just straight up,,, stopped laying on TSC feed!)

I SWITCHED feeds to a LOCAL Supplier, My egg production went (immediately) (from ZERO), back up too 9~DZN eggs per day..

Rumors/Reports that baby chick(s) this year, here,, in SENC are going to be, 5.00++ per chick. IF you can even acquire any.. Due too extreme demand..

IN San Diego ~Commiefornia,, baby chicks are going for 23.00 EACH! A DZN eggs are right at 10.00 per carton?

Right now, the MATH is working out for (ME) quite well.. (very well)..
As a 6~pack, carton of Eggs, (store brand-Food Lion) are 4.00 per package after taxes. Here in SENC..
I've got eggs coming out My ears!
I'm going to double My flock in the next month or 2..

I (should) be selling My eggs, to cover the cost of feed,,, though 20.00 per month isn't bad, for this disabled guy..
I either give away My excess eggs, OR DONATE them back too the Local Food Bank..
My Land Lord & friends/Neighbors,,, (They love ME!) ;).. (free organic eggs!)
Free range (Organic) Eggs are priced at ***WHAT** in your area(s)???
I hear they are around 8.00+++ in some places.. (everywhere)..
ALL that said..

Folks..

Find someone that has "Back Yard Chickens"..

You WILL NOT be sorry..

They ARE BY FAR, the BEST Eggs you'll EVER have or taste.. Deep Orange yolk's, OH MY WORD! So much difference, from store bought Factory Raised Eggs!

Current Weather OBS.. Here on the ICW waterway..

Currently 51F
Pressure 30.19 in
Visibility/ overcast/Cloudy

Dew Point 44 F
Humidity 83 %

Last edited:
13 Hens & One Rooster..

NO, I don't have a "Coop" per-se.. Just a garage type encloser, for them too Roost in & Lay Eggs..

I INVESTED in them Last May, seeing the forward thinking about.. (food Production & inflation Pricing)..

I lucked up & purchased them, (Chicks On Special) for .50 cents each.. They were & are, a great investment..

NO Problems with them, (here) in the Cold Weather, even last Dec.. Just make sure, they have (something) to get out of the weather.. AND DRY.. Just keep your water from icing over...

DO NOT use Hay or Straw, in they're coops! Hay & Straw promotes bad fungi that affect your chickens.. Wood chips ONLY.... Or just Stright DRY Sand.. Play sand is Ideal, or (saving on costs) I get My sand off the beach..

I let them "free range", in My back yard, about a 1/4th acre.. for bugs/insects etc..

ALSO, I have a deal with My local food Bank getting outta date Veggies/Lettuce and such, too cut on feed cost(s)..

RUMOR:
TSC, (Tractor Supply Co.),, has feed that are stopping your Hens from Laying eggs...
There's TRUTH... in that, as My Hens quit laying *Suddenly*, using that feed,, (Producers Pride & related Grains/Lables)..
(Nothing too do with light hours, or cold.. My hens just straight up,,, stopped laying on TSC feed!)

I SWITCHED feeds to a LOCAL Supplier, My egg production went (immediately) (from ZERO), back up too 9~DZN eggs per day..

Rumors/Reports that baby chick(s) this year, here,, in SENC are going to be, 5.00++ per chick. IF you can even acquire any.. Due too extreme demand..

IN San Diego ~Commiefornia,, baby chicks are going for 23.00 EACH! A DZN eggs are right at 10.00 per carton?

As a 6~pack, carton of Eggs, (store brand-Food Lion) are 4.00 per package after taxes. Here in SENC..

I (should) be selling My eggs, to cover the cost of feed,,, though 20.00 per month isn't bad, for this disabled guy..
I either give away My excess eggs, OR DONATE them back too the Local Food Bank..
ALL that said..

Folks..

You WILL NOT be sorry..

They ARE BY FAR, the BEST Eggs you'll EVER have or taste.. Deep Orange yolk's, OH MY WORD! So much difference, from store bought Factory Raised Eggs!

Currently 51F
Pressure 30.19 in

Dew Point 44 F
Humidity 83 %
Thank you for posting this!

13 Hens & One Rooster..

RUMOR:

ALL that said..

Folks..

You WILL NOT be sorry..

Currently 51F
Pressure 30.19 in

Dew Point 44 F
Humidity 83 %
I concur with the TSC feed. Ours also stopped laying on that feed. Switched to a local feed store and production bounced back. I have 14 hens and two roosters. I hear we are at $7.00/dozen at the store. My feed is double your cost, though. Wood chips are ideal for me. They break down rather quickly and I can use the compost in the garden.

Back