• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

They’re pretty resilient in the cold. I think the heat is harder on them. I think my brother just throws a little extra straw in the coop and make sure the water doesn’t freeze up. They just don’t lay a lot of eggs when it’s cold.
So you just let them run around in the yard or whatever?

So you just let them run around in the yard or whatever?
Yep, what @Jimmy Hypocracy said. They are extremely resilient. I do nothing different with mine even with the coldest temps except put some fresh water out once theirs freezing up solid. I put some extra wood shavings in the coop but that doesn't matter, they are going to roost above that anyway

Yep, what @Jimmy Hypocracy said. They are extremely resilient. I do nothing different with mine even with the coldest temps except put some fresh water out once theirs freezing up solid. I put some extra wood shavings in the coop but that doesn't matter, they are going to roost above that anyway
Is your coop open or is it like a little shed? And do you give them feed or just let them eat whatever they find? Sorry for all the questions. Those are my last two.

Is your coop open or is it like a little shed? And do you give them feed or just let them eat whatever they find? Sorry for all the questions. Those are my last two.
The wooden structure is enclosed but has one opening for their run (ramp) to exit into a completely fenced in area of the coop. We let them out often to freely roam the backyard, then they return to the coop at sunset and we close them up. I give them feed and cracked corn, but free ranging is important as they love grass, leaves, etc just be wary of them entering a flower bed, they will destroy it. They love to dig for grubs and or any other insect they can find as well. During the shorter days of winter they spend more time closed up, with mostly just feed and cracked corn

heat lamp
I've never used a heat lamp. In fact, many people up north in much harsher conditions than ours say they don't use heat lamps. They can be a danger in a dusty coop plus it actually weakens the chickens, softens them up if you will and they don't adapt properly to their climate.... that's just my .02 worth lol.

I've never used a heat lamp. In fact, many people up north in much harsher conditions than ours say they don't use heat lamps. They can be a danger in a dusty coop plus it actually weakens the chickens, softens them up if you will and they don't adapt properly to their climate.... that's just my .02 worth lol.
my coops pretty big and have a thermometer to monitor the temperature and clean the coop regularly. they work only if you are careful with them. mine still laid eggs this winter.

my coops pretty big and have a thermometer to monitor the temperature and clean the coop regularly. they work only if you are careful with them. mine still laid eggs this winter.
My chickens aren't that bougie lol. Now my wife has some silkies that are a little closer to being bougie like that

You people that have chickens, what do you do when the temp gets in the single digits?
I did nothing for mine back in December other than make sure their water was not frozen. They fluff out their feathers and slow down egg production. One of them laid an egg, which promptly froze! They are not broody, so nobody was sitting on it. The water nipples froze closed so I had to give them a tray of water every day. They would peck at it to keep the water from freezing during the day. I tried to place a warmer next to the water tank but it still froze. Still getting between 4 and 12 eggs a day. I have about four dozen eggs right now that I need to preserve somehow.

So have we canceled winter, just checking? Wondering if I can put my snow boots and winter coats up till who knows when! What a pathetic winter I seen about 10 flurries one night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have. It's over down here. But you still have a shot

You people that have chickens, what do you do when the temp gets in the single digits?
Make sure they have some shelter from the wind. If they are full grown they can regulate their temp well enough. If you are really worried you can put Vaseline on their combs and wattles as they are the most vulnerable. I always give them something with a lot of carbs just before they roost for the night and give them a big thing of hot water in the morning. Mine just survived 6 degrees back in December well enough.

Also, better keep your chickens away from wild birds. Else you'll be helping spread avian flu. Thanks.

SREF says keep hope alive hahaha

sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_ma.png

The 13 UTC NBM for KRAL, KCLT, KMYR, KFLO, KCAE has exactly a 0% chance of anything Wintry through Feb 10.

The SREF and NAM must have low weight on that model.

Back