• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

I didnt realize smallish icing events were worthy of being under a Winter Storm Warning.

I mean granted all ATL typically gets are smallish events less frequently than Dallas. We do avoid extreme warmth during the winter thanks to CAD, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raleigh got screwed so bad with that storm. It was another of those deals where it was March, mostly above freezing, and warm BL temps, and areas without heavy, consistent snowfall rates had trouble getting significant accumulations. Rates were insane down towards Sanford, though, and they had some big accumulations. EyeWall had a good YouTube video from that storm.

EDIT: Just realized I got ninja’d on this video earlier in the thread, oops! Good video, though!

Ground temps weren't a problem? ?
If temperatures are around 20 like that one, ground temps won’t matter. Unfortunately, a lot of March flakes come with temperatures around freezing which isn’t ideal. Gotta have heavy rates to make that work (which can happen, obviously). A lot of times this results in splotchy accumulation maps depending on where the best banding sets up, like March 2010.

If temperatures are around 20 like that one, ground temps won’t matter. Unfortunately, a lot of March flakes come with temperatures around freezing which isn’t ideal. Gotta have heavy rates to make that work (which can happen, obviously). A lot of times this results in splotchy accumulation maps depending on where the best banding sets up, like March 2010.
If it snows in March you better hope and pray it's snowing really hard if the temps are marginal. Especially if its during the day.

Averages start going up quickly starting today. 3 months from now it’s pool weather across the SE. 2 months from now it’s 70F highs, way more daylight over the next few weeks. Before you know it the SE is gonna be hot again. The best time of the year where torches start to torch !! 18B990AF-1C74-4EF6-B02B-0BC0CD55467D.jpeg

Back