• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

No "strong" tornados.
Maybe not (although there have been a few bad outbreaks), but there’s fanfic about terrible Florida tornado outbreaks. ?

I find it hilarious this site exists.

We’re thinking about getting a vacation place in Boone. Go up there when they are expecting snow and enjoy the snow. Come back home and not stress about when it’s going to snow again.
This is an expensive hobby if we have to buy vacation homes to enjoy it. ?

yeah but the further west you go in the panhandle the less Florida-like it becomes.
Oh yeah, and frankly there just isn’t a lot in the panhandle, period. In Tallahassee, it took three hours driving to reach cities of appreciable size (Jacksonville and Pensacola). It’s a vast area without a ton of people. It is surprisingly hilly, too.

I never understood why they chose to put the state capital so far away from the center. The capital should be in Orlando.
Back when Tallahassee was chosen as the state capital, few people lived in Peninsular Florida and most people were in the panhandle. So Tallahassee was approximately the population center (it is in the center of the panhandle). Of course, that’s far from true today and there have been discussions in the past about moving the capital, but that doesn‘t seem likely.

Kind of a similar situation to Washington, DC when you think about it.

Back when Tallahassee was chosen as the state capital, few people lived in Peninsular Florida and most people were in the panhandle. So Tallahassee was approximately the population center (it is in the center of the panhandle). Of course, that’s far from true today and there have been discussions in the past about moving the capital, but that doesn‘t seem likely.

Kind of a similar situation to Washington, DC when you think about it.

The peninsula exploded once AC became more attainable.

Oh yeah, and frankly there just isn’t a lot in the panhandle, period. In Tallahassee, it took three hours driving to reach cities of appreciable size (Jacksonville and Pensacola). It’s a vast area without a ton of people. It is surprisingly hilly, too.
The small stretch of the Panhandle probably has some of the prettiest sand beaches and water clarity in the country. Aside from Key West. Vacationed on a remote island in Apalachicola , south of Tallahassee. No light pollution. First time I have ever seen the Milky Way or the Milky Way containing a few million more stars.

Well I guess it’s on to next winter for me after having high hopes for at least seeing flurries this winter even if I wasn’t going to see measurable snow… but I didn’t think it would be this bad but good luck to those that do get some type of winter weather for the remainder of the winter

Back