• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

Fully stocked.

603207d39d8489af8952e6fe46174462.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so taking that literally, the scary thing about that scenario is the cold is increasing throughout the event. The saving grace there could be a quicker sleet transition.
In past (similar depicted) events we usually ended up with more sleet. I think this happened because the CAD ended up stronger. We've had big ice events but from what I remember it was an opposite setup whereas the temps were very cold to start (then snow to sleet to freezing rain).

We're planning to launch a service as a part of MMFS where anybody can go onto a web portal and run their own custom MMFS model runs.. the ability to customize grid resolution, start time, end time, output products, and location. The model will run and then email you the outputs once it's complete. We'll also be rolling out corporate-use plans (licensing model outputs for commercial use) and research-use plans (further customization of model physics).. thoughts on this? At this point we're just trying to gauge interest.

1674524462613.png
This map may be pure clown bit its interesting to note the warm finger in EGA/ WSC. Though the downsloping screw job is very real, I don't think it would verify like that. If the cold is primarily coming from the NW, it will have some effect, but wouldn't funnel all the way to SAV without it finally settling into the lee as well.

We're planning to launch a service as a part of MMFS where anybody can go onto a web portal and run their own custom MMFS model runs.. the ability to customize grid resolution, start time, end time, output products, and location. The model will run and then email you the outputs once it's complete. We'll also be rolling out corporate-use plans (licensing model outputs for commercial use) and research-use plans (further customization of model physics).. thoughts on this? At this point we're just trying to gauge interest.
Better then Bamwx paying 25 year olds 30k a year to read free weather models to paying customers. So there’s that.

Better then Bamwx paying 25 year olds 30k a year to read free weather models to paying customers. So there’s that.
It's expensive to run a weather model. Spent several hundreds of dollars this weekend on upgrades on the supercomputer. All in all, the system is worth thousands of dollars.

It's expensive to run a weather model. Spent several hundreds of dollars this weekend on upgrades on the supercomputer. All in all, the system is worth thousands of dollars.
In my mind, what you’re doing is real, and more deserving of real funding.

near Chattanooga
Oh yeah the winters haven’t been great there lately. I do remember though 5-6 years ago you had some pretty big snows I thought. I guess the winters can be a pretty big deference between southern Tennessee and northern Tennessee especially if elevation is involved. Once you get near and into Kentucky you start to really get a chance at real winter weather every year.

Only my 6th January since 1981-82 with not a trace of any type of winter precipitation recorded in the last 42 winters. I'm ready for that February torch to give me less snow and warmer temperatures than I received in January. Bring it February. I'm ready for it. Let's go.

Back