• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2021-22 Final Grades

Chazwin

2024 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok… Meteorological Spring starts tomorrow. Let’s get the grades in on winter. I’m going with a solid B for my backyard. Will finish at 3.8 degrees above average, which isn’t overwhelming considering that December was the 3rd warmest on record. Snowfall finished at 4.9” which is 1.2 above average and the most for me since 2013-2014. Three straight weekends with accumulating snow in January will be remembered, although if just one of those had managed to put down 6” plus for me, I would have gone with an A.

Snowfall near average, 2 of 3 months AN, warm on Christmas, no real memorable snow event,
decent sustained cold in January, a few lows in the teens but nothing that remarkable. C+/B- basically what I would expect/was expected around here this year.

Last edited:
C-, and that might be generous. We had a few decent weeks, but other than that this winter was a catastrophe. Another year below climo snowfall, made all the worse by areas within an hour’s driving distance racking up 150% of climo. Rough stuff. The only hope for salvation is Magic March to save the day with a moderate snowfall, but that looks unlikely at this point.

I have some optimism for December and January but this far out that's dangerous. I just feel like we will be fighting the same demons as the last 5 or so winters and they haven't been overly generous minus a few short runs. Really hope the uk and euro are on to something with the weak pv early that would play right into our hands before the SER starts lurking. Right now I'm thinking December +1-3 Jan -1-+1 Feb +5-7 with 1 respectable well below normal run in December or Jan of 7-14 days
Had the cold and mjo propagation timed wrong if things were 2 weeks faster the monthly breakdown turns out better but I'm happy with this call from July as an aggregate forecast of +1.6-3.6 @rdu with it falling at +2.9

Last edited:
D- for metro ATL. We are in the middle of a bad stretch here. If not for the one incher in January it would have been a rock bottom F- December was an inferno, January was a series of rug pulls, and February was asystole (no heart rhythm at all, can’t even shock it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A, 3 straight weekends of snow. One big 7” storm. January was very cold. Even had a light glaze event as well. After the last few winters, this was about as good as it could’ve gotten here. Although December and half of February has been warm with periods of cold.

C One good storm. 6" Couple of flakes flying events. Cold for a few weeks in Jan. but nothing major, some mid teens as low as I got. To many missed chances for a better score.

We had about 1.5 inches of snow in January, a few snow showers/flurries here and there but nothing to really get excited about. We did have several cold days and many nights in the mid to low 20s but lack of snowfall is going to put this one at a C for me. I knew it was going to be hard to top last February 2021 this year and sure enough is was.

Back