• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2021-22 Final Grades

F+ I mean I had snow for about an hour and it was gone. The temps weren't nearly cold enough for me. I expected this considering it is my "last" southern winter! Congrats to those who got snow and enjoyed winter!

B
1. In January I had the coldest rain seen here in 4 years at 32.7! Rains that cold here are not common and thus are exciting.

2. January walking wx was absolutely awesome! Dewpoints were low almost all month after the first few days.

3. February had a good amount of fine walking wx with the best part near midmonth. I also laid out once IMBY late one afternoon and it felt so good!

4. December walking wx could have been better but I still got in some pretty good walking.

Aside: November walking wx was fantastic but I can’t count it for winter.

D…. Some cold days… but a huge letdown on the MLK weekend storm.. for once I was in s prime location!!! NE GA mountains… temps busted 10 degrees too warm!! My 3-5 turned into a trace… biggest letdown ever!!! Depressed me the rest of the winter.. and I can’t stand severe spring and this pollen is killing me!!!! Rant over?

Overall a C. Snowfall was an A, even though it was only 1 event here instead of the 3 or 4 small ones most got. Temps were a D, and that's being generous! CLT still had its 9th warmest winter ever. And the 2nd most 70 degree days in winter.

It was a weird winter. At GSP 23 out of 31 days in January were below average, but only finished -2 for the month. 16 out of 28 days in Feb were below average and still finished +1.1 for the month. This winter shows why it's so hard for the SE to average colder than average anymore. It's hard to overcome the blast furnace the SER brings anymore. It could be only one week of warmth followed by 3 weeks of cold and when it comes to averages that one week wipes out the negative departures. Thats why if you go above average here you're right 95% of the time. The good news is it can still snow, even down to CAE!

B-

Well, I felt like we actually had a winter this year thanks to January, so I'm going to give some extra credit here. Really should give it a C for average, but I was in the mountains for the first event in early January for a few cold non-melty inches, then I got a few inches of a really cold sleet fest in mid January; solid storm. That's a pretty good winter, I'll take that every year. Especially since the last several years have had diddly squat.

But December was the absolute worst (Seattle :mad:), the other minor threats in January did not work out IMBY so that was just a frustration. February was a whole lot of progressive crud over and over (year of the SE trend).

Considering we went most of the winter with a +AO and +NAO, only a pretty mild +PNA and we still got a decent winter month, I'll take it. Kinda like getting an 80 on an exam. it's not great, didn't do really good, but you can say "hey, gotta B!"

Back